Drysuit insulation for shell suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

Wifebuddy and I are starting to look at getting drysuits. We've dived a couple of different styles and are currently leaning towards a TLS350. I wanted to get an idea of what undergarments divers prefer for diving around Monterey and what layering strategies you use. I realize everyone's different as far as heat/cold tolerance goes but right now I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before we make a purchase.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

My first set of undies was a nylon shell with fleece lining (kinda like polartech) and a set of polypropylene long johns. I dove for years with that combination and wondered what the bid deal was about drysuits. I wasn't any warmer, during the dive, than with my wet suit. The main difference was I was warm swimming on the surface, whereas with my wet suit I wasn't warm again till I removed it.

When I returned to diving a few years ago I splurged on a set of Bare ultraloft thinsulate undies and finally get it---I'm toasty. I had to add weight to my belt, but it was worth it.

It depends on the length and depth you are targeting... For short and shallow you can use polartech or fleece. These materials are more stretchy but trade off some warmth. If you are worried about having to weather a long deco hang thinsulate is better.

For my deep/long dives I use use the 300 gram thinsulate by DUI and while I've never had a full flood I have been comfortable with some light drysuit leaks that I didn't realize I had until I took off the suit. The disadvantage with the thinsulate is that it does not stretch so the fit is very important. An ill fitting undergarment and/or drysuit will make your life hell when it comes to valve drills and kicks.

I use the 4th element halo. I use it in 65°water and also in 35° water and feel comfortable in all temp ranges. Altho it can get warm topside if the suns out..

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Well, Monterey is fairly balmy, at least compared to further north. ;-) I like to dive there with layers that can be removed to avoid overheating between dives. The Fourth Element Ozone jacket and pants with a Xerotherm layer underneath work quite well. I also like an Under Armour T-shirt as a base layer. You can mix and match different top and bottom layers. I tend to use a lighter base layer on my legs because they don't get cold as easily.
In Puget Sound I'll switch to the Arctic one piece suit with a Waterproof 3D mesh vest underneath during the winter months.
Dry gloves are a wonderful thing. I use the Kubi ring system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like 3D Diver, I started with some fleece that I had at home. It worked, but it was not ideal. When it got cold I layered it and layered fleece really restricts mobility.

I finally got actual undergarments and I was much happier.

If your dives are on the short side then you could do with almost anything. It may be a little cold underwater but you'll warm up quickly once you're out.

For longer dives undergarments do make a big difference in comfort. Among the warmest I've seen recommended: Santi 400 and Fourth Element Halo 3D.

And I'm very partial to P-valves, but I know very frequent divers who don't have them and they don't mind.

300g is about right for most of the time. although there were a few days where it was below 50F in carmel where I kinda wished I had worn a 400g instead.

dives < 1hr i.e. singles from the shore or boat i use 200g compressed thinsulate by Bare.
dive > 1 hr i.e. doubles, scooters whole works, i use 450XL DUI thinsulate and heater

For Monterey, I'd get the warmest undergarment you can find. I prefer Thinsulate because if you get it wet, it still offers some warmth. My DUI TLS 350 flooded last week at Point Lobos, though slowly thru the dive. It definitely still insulated me, but a lot less. So Thinsulate and the thickest you can find is my recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom