Drysuit Insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM - This is a serious suggestion, not a pi$$ take! But try having a few musical instrument lessons, something like the Saxophone. Or mybe singing. In both, one of the first things that you'll be taught is how to breathe properly, i.e. using your diaphragm rather than your lungs. This *may* help you drop a couple of kilos from your weight belt as you'll be more concious of breathing properly whilst still managing to modulate your lung volume.

Dan Gibson:
With one small exception. Some valves may leak while descending if you don't close them until you reach depth. This really sucks when it's cold.
You mean like my low profile Apeks exhaust? It's very particular too, because if left completely open, it will leak only in fresh water. In salt water, I can leave it open all the way and no leaking. In fresh water, I'll close it 4 clicks and add a little air while descending. Then open it all the way once I'm at depth and no problems venting on the ascent. One of these days I'll change the Apeks out for a Si-Tech.

Thanks, Andy. I sang for years, so I'm very familiar with diaphragm breathing. I don't think my breathing is contributing to my weight problem, but next dive, I'll pay more attention to whether I'm using my diaphragm or not. My RMV is very low.

I have no idea why salt water would be different from fresh water, but yes the original low profile Apeks (may have since been changed) was the culprit. It had to do with the number of supports. The low profile Apeks had fewer than the high profile Apeks.

Personally, I didn't have good luck with my first SiTech valve. I use the high Profile Apeks and it dumps very fast. Others I know swear by SiTech,

francousteau:
You mean like my low profile Apeks exhaust? It's very particular too, because if left completely open, it will leak only in fresh water. In salt water, I can leave it open all the way and no leaking. In fresh water, I'll close it 4 clicks and add a little air while descending. Then open it all the way once I'm at depth and no problems venting on the ascent. One of these days I'll change the Apeks out for a Si-Tech.

TSandM:
Corey, I'll just reiterate that we did a formal weight check, at the end of a dive (so presumably all air out of suit/BC), with about 400 psi in the tank (tried to bleed it to 500 but got a free flow and overshot a little), and we could not remove any of the 28 pounds I was carrying with the LP 95 and allow me to stay under the water at all. I have no bone mass and I wear a lot of undergarment. I wish like crazy that I didn't HAVE to carry so much weight -- it really affects my enjoyment of diving to have to put on and haul around all that weight on land -- but this does not seem to be a matter of novice anxiety, and it's certainly not a matter of overweighting.

If that much weight works for you, no worries!:D

jduncan:
Anybody think it's a bit strange to conduct a drysuit class down to 80 feet?

Maybe it's a Klingon class. The penalty for failure is painful death. :cool:

Terry

Dan Gibson:
Personally, I didn't have good luck with my first SiTech valve. I use the high Profile Apeks and it dumps very fast. Others I know swear by SiTech,
Yeah, I've heard some reports of even the SiTech valve leaking, but I've heard lots more about the Apeks low profile and am experiencing it myself. I'm surprised that you like the high profile though. The low profile can be troublesome enough to get under the harness, but if it keeps you dry . . . :14:

My valve was placed closer to the elbow as in the pic fourth down on the right http://www.wkpp.org/gal040100.htm , so getting into the rig is a little easier. One never knows where DUI will place the valve :wink:

francousteau:
Yeah, I've heard some reports of even the SiTech valve leaking, but I've heard lots more about the Apeks low profile and am experiencing it myself. I'm surprised that you like the high profile though. The low profile can be troublesome enough to get under the harness, but if it keeps you dry . . . :14:

This might be better for a separate thread, but what are some trade-offs between a WRIST-mounted vent and a shoulder-mounted vent?

I'm wondering because, just like other posters, I've had to figure out how to balance inflation functions between my DS and BCD. [After about 10 dives on my DS, I think I'm with the majority--use DS air to manage squeeze and BCD air to manage buoyancy.] I'm wondering if this balance might be easier to manage if the DS vent were a simple wrist vent.

From looking at others' dry suits with wrist vents, it seems they have no open/closed dial--they're always full-open, meaning they're always ensuring that DS won't inflate and become more buoyant when you rise a little in the water column. Without an ability to close them, wouldn't they affect trim more when perfect buoyancy control is needed? On the other hand, in most normal positions (especially asent positions) it's easy to ensure the suit is venting--just raise your arm and watch the bubbles.

I've been thinking of having a left wrist vent installed in my DUI suit, and the shoulder vent removed. I'd feel more comfortable seeing the vent bubbles which are just out of view, and in the security of not stressing the shoulder vent when I don my BCD. Except for a backup depth timer on my right arm, I don't use wrist instruments, and I don't go reaching in cracks for lobsters, so maybe I'm a good candidate for the change.

Thoughts?

BigTuna,
I wondered the same thing so I asked the dry suit expert at my LDS. He told me that the wrist mount was a better choice because it allowed you to regulate the amount of air you want to dump better than a shoulder mount. The disadvantage is that it is on your forearm so it can get in the way if trying to work and doesn't allow you to have any gauges on that arm. I will be taking the dry suit class on the 15th with a suit that allows you to move the valve from the shoulder to the forearm. I will try both and let you know which in all practicality works better.

-Jacobi

Back
Top Bottom