Drysuit Insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor told us to use whatever method was most comfortable for us, BC or dry suit (this was a PADI instructor). I used my suit for the first few dives, and switched to bc. She also taught us to open our valve all the way, then back a quarter turn. She mentioned that the degree to which the valve was open would change as our experience increased, but never told us to keep it closed.

....um, I'm confused....why would you keep your valve closed? Isn't the point of the valve to vent air somewhat automatically? How can it do that while closed?

I rented a suit that was too large while my dry suit was in the hospital, and found out I had to add a lot more air than usual to offset squeeze - I actually got suit hickies! Not the most comfortable of situations, diving with it was weird, but the hickies in odd spots made an interesting conversation piece. :)

In regards to weight, don't let anybody get you worried about how much weight you need. TSandM is right about bone mass making a big difference, plus women have to offset the bouancy of our, ahem, twin natural floatation devices. :wink: I dive with a dry suit, a superundergarment, and require 30lbs with a steel 80 or 34 with an aluminum 80. Sadly, I'm larger than any of you :) , but with more muscle and bone density that most women. But my very petite sister dives with about the same weight. Don't sweat it! Most women divers are qualified to figure out what weight they need, and having guys slam that is, quite frankly, a bit condecending IMO.

I didn't mean to sound condecending. My ex-wife had a lot of, ahem buoyancy. She dived with 8# of lead. I am 195# and with a steel 120 I wear 17# in both my drysuit and wetsuit with no problems.

You mean that nonsense has now made it's way from tanks valves to drysuit exhaust valves :wink:

Penopolypants:
She also taught us to open our valve all the way, then back a quarter turn.

Penopolypants:
....um, I'm confused....why would you keep your valve closed? Isn't the point of the valve to vent air somewhat automatically? How can it do that while closed?

There are times in diving when you are not horizontal and do not wish to loose air in suit (descents, etc.).

Also, when diving in wrecks, etc. or just in general when I am going to stay at a certain depth for a while, and do not wish to loose air in suit while twisting to get through openings, (or when twisting to look up at buddy who ends up on my left and slightly above, etc.) I will close valve (at least partially) to keep from accidently dumping, and to keep buoyancy consistent. I will then push the vent button if necessary on periodic ascents. I do open it more for full ascents, or frequent depth changes though.

Also, if BC fails (hole, or valve prob.) and drysuit becomes back up BCD, then you can close valve all the way and use the buttons as necessary, to allow you to get back to the surface (good plan if you carry added weight from large air supply at beginning of dive, etc. and want or need extra air in suit to help ascend).

I'm 195#, diving a Bare Nex-Gen with medium undergarments using a Ranger. I use 24# of lead in Freshwater with an AL80 for what that is worth. I don't think I could go much lighter.

Scubaliz:
and then had the misfortune of losing a weight pocket (damn the first generation velcro!!) at about 80 feet, suit extremely inflated for the depth... Needless to say, had I not practiced the skills of "kick down for your life or die" I would have had a marvelous runaway ascent on my hands.

Anybody think it's a bit strange to conduct a drysuit class down to 80 feet?

I put a small shot of air in my suit to eliminate squeeze at my chest, and then the rest with BCD.

Dan Gibson:
You mean that nonsense has now made it's way from tanks valves to drysuit exhaust valves :wink:

It makes it easier for the diver I'm wearing on my forhead to tell if my valves are on or off. :D

I learned the PADI way too. I never had a problem managing all buoyancy with just the drysuit. It's a bubble to manage and it's not hard with a properly sized suit. It is however much more comfortable to offset squeeze with the drysuit and manage the rest with the BC/Wing.

In terms of how much and what to do with the valve....depends on your suit and what you are doing. If you are taking pictures or hunting you will not want to leave your valve open. As soon as your valve becomes the highest point you will loose air from the suit. If your dive is such that you will remain neutral and trimmed level leave it open.

I dive neo dry so I add a fair amount of air to offset squeeze (very little "extra" air to begin with). If you are descending deep you will be doing nothing but offsetting squeeze for a good portion. With squeeze remedied you switch to your wing/bc of course. If it's colder you will feel warmer with a bit more air. On super cold dives I sometimes opt for a bit more air in my suit than I otherwise would for this purpose.

--Matt

MaxBottomtime:
I didn't mean to sound condecending. My ex-wife had a lot of, ahem buoyancy. She dived with 8# of lead. I am 195# and with a steel 120 I wear 17# in both my drysuit and wetsuit with no problems.

I apologize myself, I didn't mean to sound as if you in particular were sounding condescending :). I was venting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom