Drysuit in warm waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a drysuit in the Red Sea for a December trip a few years ago, no doubt in part thanks to Lynne's post. But it was mostly for protection against topside chill due to the wind on the RIB ride back to the liveaboard. I also use a drysuit in Mexican caves (water temps around 76F). But that is mostly for redundant buoyancy. I don't do 2-hour dives, but if I did, it would likely be in doubles with a drysuit.

I did a search for the topic of drysuits in warm waters and came out with a few results dating back to 2011.
The latest one was from 2018 so would like to reintroduce the question.

Does any one dive a drysuit in warm waters (>75 degrees)?
I was diving in Florida recently with dives approaching 2 hours/dive. Water temp was 75-78. On all dives, I was chilled by the end of the dive. I was wearing a Lava Core underneath a 3 mm wetsuit. I am NOT surprised that I was getting cold towards the end of dive (around 1 hour 40 minute).

In her memory I found a funny post from the late @TSandM. Brought smiles to me.

View attachment 653735

I know I can wear a 5 mm or 7 mm.

Stay warm.
what wetsuits do you use in FL?
:smalllogo:

For me, drysuit is 23c (73 f) and below. I don’t happen to dive anywhere that sits around 24; if I did I think I’d go with a 5 mil and a thin hooded vest from 24-27c. 28 and up is 3 mil full for me. I never dive in just a skin unless I’m only doing one dive.

I don't have personal experience with this, but one of the guides with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo was diving drysuit when I was there in February, with water temps around 70-72 degrees. If I'd thought more about it, I would have asked him about it.

I wore a drysuit in the Galapagos last year. Temps ranged from 68° to 81°. I was fine on all dives. Splashing along choppy seas in an inflatable kept me cool on the surface.

3mm.

I appreciate all the posts that have responded to me.
I'm looking for a 3mm, what brands do you use? I'm not a chubby guy so a lot wetsuits are really loose.... Scubapro makes good sizes, deep6 is out, what other good ones are there? thx

I'm looking for a 3mm, what brands do you use? I'm not a chubby guy so a lot wetsuits are really loose.... Scubapro makes good sizes, deep6 is out, what other good ones are there? thx

I kind of like Akona Quantum Stretch price point, specifically when found on sale. I am semi-slim and it hugs me well. It is strechy, so easy to put on and comfy. This years model is very ugly, however, design wise. What were they thinking? I have gray-ish versions from prior years.

I'm easy...
Rec dives 26c/78f+ i use boardshorts and a 1mm neo rashguard
Tech/Cave over 26/78 - > Drysuit
ANY dives in less than 26/78 -> Drysuit....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom