Drysuit in warm waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I did a search for the topic of drysuits in warm waters and came out with a few results dating back to 2011.
The latest one was from 2018 so would like to reintroduce the question.

Does any one dive a drysuit in warm waters (>75 degrees)?
I was diving in Florida recently with dives approaching 2 hours/dive. Water temp was 75-78. On all dives, I was chilled by the end of the dive. I was wearing a Lava Core underneath a 3 mm wetsuit. I am NOT surprised that I was getting cold towards the end of dive (around 1 hour 40 minute).

In her memory I found a funny post from the late @TSandM. Brought smiles to me.

upload_2021-4-16_9-41-48.png

I know I can wear a 5 mm or 7 mm.

Stay warm.

I do not. I regularly do 2-3 hour dives in those temps and while chilled I am not full on cold. However, these are shallow dives so I have no wetsuit compression to deal with. I use a Sharkskin hooded vest underneath my Bare Reactive 5mm wetsuit.

If I were doing deeper dives that long in those temps I would most likely use my drysuit with a simple smartwool layer.

Did the Red Sea a couple of years ago in March and dove my Fusion same as TAandM, used long underwear as undergarments. Was comfortable. Diving wet would have been cold as I only have a 3mil suit.

Hi
Always dive with a DS unless it is more than 28C (82F) :)
Compressed neo down to 16C (60F) and trilaminate with unders below that.
Yes may sound crazy but I like it that way :)
Then it is hot outside, a few tricks help to keep you cool before splashing.
If you are in a place doing multi-day dives, people look at you with a smile on the first days but with envy on the last days.

I don't because of surface conditions and overheating rapidly. With the advent of the heated vests for wetsuits I think you'll have a much better solution for you with that

I don't because of surface conditions and overheating rapidly. With the advent of the heated vests for wetsuits I think you'll have a much better solution for you with that
surface conditions and overheating is just a question of management:nyah::)

Does any one dive a drysuit in warm waters (>75 degrees)?

I had to convert that to >24C :D

So that would be me for several locations here in UAE. However I have found that my new 5mm suit holds up well on the second dive, which is when I usually feel the cold.

Bottom temps where I normally dive are around 23C/73F and all square profile with a thermocline if we're lucky at around 10m pushing it up to 24C for at least six months of the year.

A drysuit is also good at keeping you warm on the return boat trips after diving too when wearing a wetsuit will soon chill you unless you remove it before the boat starts heading back to port.

I dive exclusively in drysuit nowadays, i just plain prefer them, to me 75F(24C) in a 3mm would be super chilly to me. Having said that i am a complete wuss and hate the cold more than others. I regularly dive in air temps up of 90F in my area and have found a ice towel to help before getting into the water.

I have seen that in Philippines when divers came out of water in shortie and dry suit respectively.
Personal preference I believe.
No right or wrong.

Back
Top Bottom