Drysuit hood: proper fit – how to trim, for an anorexic cone head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_cyberveggie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For Christmas I got a Viking Extreme drysuit. I’ve trimmed the neck/wrist seals, but I need to trim the hood.

Out of the box the hood seems to be extremely large for my head… or my head is unusually small (I wear a medium motorcycle helmet even though I’m 6’3”).

With the beanie on, the hood completely covers my head and leaves a small round opening just large enough to pass an orange through. This seems sub-optimal for diving. Perhaps I should wear the hood over my mask.

I have seen a few posts that say I should trim the hood so that the mask can touch skin all the way around. Based on the current fit, I would have to cut away a fair amount of hood. Should my need to cut away 30% of the hood be cause for alarm?

Also, how should the hood fit on the bottom part of my face? Over the chin? Under the chin?

Assuming I do need to trim the hood, any advice on how to do this properly (provided or pointed to) would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to find a good video on this on the web, but didn’t find anything useful.

I just found out that I am going to be at Dutch Springs this weekend for my first ‘non-pool’ training class so I need to do this soon. Otherwise I’ll look like Kenny from South Park, and you know what happens to him.

For Christmas I got a Viking Extreme drysuit.
I've got the same one; it's great suit. The exhaust valve can be a little tricky until you're used to it.
With the beanie on, the hood completely covers my head and leaves a small round opening just large enough to pass an orange through. This seems sub-optimal for diving. Perhaps I should wear the hood over my mask.
Not unless you like getting your head wet and cold. Is the hood snug against your head/beanie on the back and sides?
I have seen a few posts that say I should trim the hood so that the mask can touch skin all the way around. Based on the current fit, I would have to cut away a fair amount of hood. Should my need to cut away 30% of the hood be cause for alarm?
Assuming you've got the latex "Surveyor" hood, you can trim it any way you need to (within reason, of course).
Also, how should the hood fit on the bottom part of my face? Over the chin? Under the chin?
The bottom of the opening rests on my chin, about three quarters of an inch below my lower lip. This works for me, YMMV.
Assuming I do need to trim the hood, any advice on how to do this properly (provided or pointed to) would be greatly appreciated.
I tried to find a good video on this on the web, but didn’t find anything useful.
Try this SB thread.
My hood didn't actually need any trimming, but I'm a little guy with a big head.

I've got the same one; it's great suit. The exhaust valve can be a little tricky until you're used to it.

Not unless you like getting your head wet and cold. Is the hood snug against your head/beanie on the back and sides?

Assuming you've got the latex "Surveyor" hood, you can trim it any way you need to (within reason, of course).

The bottom of the opening rests on my chin, about three quarters of an inch below my lower lip. This works for me, YMMV.

I've seen postings about people who have to burp their hoods. Is that a common thing or an indication that I could trim better?

Try <removed due to to few posts>
My hood didn't actually need any trimming, but I'm a little guy with a big head.

Could you elaborate on valve usage a bit more? I found (and assumed it was due to inexperience) that I either let out too little air or way too much. I also couldn't find the right amount to dial down the valve. Hopefully I'll avoid reenacting any scenes from Free Willy on my assents.

Understood. I will verify the correct positioning of the beanie.

Yes, Surveyor hood.

Understood. So the line of the hood should start under the bottom lip, come up along the cheek, far enough back to not touch the mask, cross the temple and then run along the forehead? And it should make a tight, but comfortable seal. If done properly, water should not get into the hood?

I've seen people posting issue that involve burping their hoods. If I trim properly, this shouldn't be an issue for me? Should air be passing the next seal into the hood?

Thank you for the link. Its sounds like I just need to measure and cut carefully and not be too paranoid.

Thanks for the response.

Could you elaborate on valve usage a bit more? I found (and assumed it was due to inexperience) that I either let out too little air or way too much. I also couldn't find the right amount to dial down the valve. Hopefully I'll avoid reenacting any scenes from Free Willy on my assents.

Because it's farther down the arm than on other suits, it seems like I need to hit the valve on occasion rather than relying on the "auto-dump". It's a non-issue if your arm's above your head, but I do horizontal ascents most of the time and it needs a goose here and there.

Understood. So the line of the hood should start under the bottom lip, come up along the cheek, far enough back to not touch the mask, cross the temple and then run along the forehead? And it should make a tight, but comfortable seal. If done properly, water should not get into the hood?

Yes. I don't have any leakage in mine. There are two schools of thought about the mask seal: one along the lines of what you've described; one that recommends sealing the mask against the latex of the hood itself. If the hood and mask both fit properly, either will work. My hood fit such that a seal between the mask and hood would be a fussy operation, so I seal to my face and tweak the edge of the hood over the mask skirt.
With the extra hood material you've mentioned you actually have the luxury of trying both; I'd cut for a mask-to-hood seal and try that first. If it's not working, coax the edges of the hood opening out over the skirt of the mask. If you still don't like it, cut it bigger when you get back home.

I've seen people posting issue that involve burping their hoods. If I trim properly, this shouldn't be an issue for me? Should air be passing the next seal into the hood?

I haven't had this problem with the surveyor hood. I do have it with the neoprene drysuit hood I wear when I dive wet. The problem usually isn't air passing the neck seal, but blowback from your second stage working its way in.

Thank you for the link. Its sounds like I just need to measure and cut carefully and not be too paranoid.

Thanks for the response.
Measure thrice, cut once. :wink: Make sure your scissors are very sharp and that you keep all the curves smooth.

And a word of advice about Viking drysuit undergarments -- the "Arctic+" is exactly that. I wore it in 55-degree water and I was sweating so much that I thought my zipper was leaking.

Because it's farther down the arm than on other suits, it seems like I need to hit the valve on occasion rather than relying on the "auto-dump". It's a non-issue if your arm's above your head, but I do horizontal ascents most of the time and it needs a goose here and there.

Ah. Gotcha.

Yes. I don't have any leakage in mine. There are two schools of thought about the mask seal: one along the lines of what you've described; one that recommends sealing the mask against the latex of the hood itself. If the hood and mask both fit properly, either will work. My hood fit such that a seal between the mask and hood would be a fussy operation, so I seal to my face and tweak the edge of the hood over the mask skirt.

With the extra hood material you've mentioned you actually have the luxury of trying both; I'd cut for a mask-to-hood seal and try that first. If it's not working, coax the edges of the hood opening out over the skirt of the mask. If you still don't like it, cut it bigger when you get back home.

Good Idea. I will start by cutting less and working into a solution that works best.

Measure thrice, cut once. :wink: Make sure your scissors are very sharp and that you keep all the curves smooth.

Noted... I've read to use 'virgin' scissors. I will pick up a new pair for the job.

And a word of advice about Viking drysuit undergarments -- the "Arctic+" is exactly that. I wore it in 55-degree water and I was sweating so much that I thought my zipper was leaking.

Interesting. I purchased the lighter of the two undergarments. 200mm I think. I will be diving around NJ in the warmer months for now so 45+deg. I was worried that the lighter ones wouldn't be warm enough, but it sounds like I should be OK, or wost case a layer under the undergarments.

Again, thanks for the all of the input.

Late again. Have you asked Dan Akyroyd. Are you able to use another hood until the hood adjustment fitting people can look at it?

Late again. Have you asked Dan Akyroyd. Are you able to use another hood until the hood adjustment fitting people can look at it?

LOL... I'm told I must wait until they finish their mass consumption.

Actually I was ready, new scissors poised, and tried on the mask with the hood as is.

The hood covered enough of my face that the mask seems to make a great seal on the latex. Per DevilKitty's suggestion I'm going to give having the mask sit on the latex a try.

That said, I'll have the scissors with me in case I need to make adjustments for the second dive.

A quick side note: answering the door while testing how your mask fits over your drysuit hood does not necessarily impress your children's friends.

The benefit of practice is as your children especially daughters and their friends become older, if you answer the door while testing how your mask fits over your drysuit hood naked, your children will remain safer longer. Happy cone honing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom