Drysuit hood dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrielsal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have decided to go dry this winter. My hair is almost to my waist and I have no idea how to get all of my hair under my drysuit hood. In my wetsuit, I just push my hair under my wetsuit.
I'm looking for ideas. I thought about a french braid, then pushing the ends under but I have so much hair that braiding is a real pain.

Carrie

Interesting problem. My wetsuit hood fits me better and I use that more often then not with my drysuit. It was designed for cold water and has a long "skirt". I wonder if you could use a hood like that and wrap your braid around your neck somehow to keep it tucked in and out of trouble.

is your hair fine or thick? if it's fine, i wonder if you could do a 'cinnamon bun' from your crown around & around, with it piling softly beside itself instead of on top of itself like a regular bun. uuhh...like a yarmulke instead of a fist sticking out the top of your head.

if it's thick, that might be too much hair to try to get under a hood. personally, i cut mine, but i guess that's off the table! maybe like bikers do, a low ponytail with an elastic every 4-6 inches?

When my hair was long, I used to french braid it and leave the braid hanging out the bottom of my drysuit hood. It is critical that all the hair be out of the drysuit neck seal, otherwise it will leak, but the hood will let water in anyway. Mine isn't roomy enough to accommodate the hair tucked up, or I would have tried that.

I recently met a young girl with thick hair down to her buttock and she had a seemstress customize her hood. She wore a L hood but bought a XXL had the seemstress take in the lower area of the hood leaving the upper area larger and then installed a heavy duty zipper.

All she would have to do is put her hair up in a pony tail and wrap it around a couple of times pull her hood on and then sinch down the zipper making it nice and cozy..

ooh, that's a good idea...

I recently met a young girl with thick hair down to her buttock and she had a seemstress customize her hood. She wore a L hood but bought a XXL had the seemstress take in the lower area of the hood leaving the upper area larger and then installed a heavy duty zipper.

All she would have to do is put her hair up in a pony tail and wrap it around a couple of times pull her hood on and then sinch down the zipper making it nice and cozy..

Great custom hoods can be ordered at OtterBay wetsuits: Otterbaysuits.com Homepage

Great hoods, nice people, good service.

I have decided to go dry this winter. My hair is almost to my waist and I have no idea how to get all of my hair under my drysuit hood. In my wetsuit, I just push my hair under my wetsuit.
I'm looking for ideas. I thought about a french braid, then pushing the ends under but I have so much hair that braiding is a real pain.

Carrie

You can go to my hair stylist...

13047_169308267028_618587028_3016633_2976236_n.jpg

:shocked2:

What kind of drysuit do you have? The DUI suits with a "warm neck" allow you to tuck your hair under both the hood and then into the suit itself without getting into the neck seal.

My hair is thick and curly. Cutting it is not an option. :no:
I ordered the White's drysuit hood with the zipper in the back hoping this will be easier to get on. It probably won't be in until next week. I may try putting it up in an old ladies bun on the top of my head.
I hadn't thought of braiding it and letting it just hang out the back. That sounds like a pretty good idea!

Carrie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom