Drysuit flexibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim,
I had the exact same problem in my Nex Gen... It felt like I was diving in pajamas swithcing over to a TLS 350. Sorry no answers for ya.... I'ld say it's normal for the Nex Gen

You know, I was thinking about this as I got in the water and put my fins on today. One of the things that happens when you wade out into the water is that all the air in your drysuit gets squeezed upwards (and vented, if you have your valve open). So your legs are pretty severely squeezed. At least in my drysuit, my mobility is hampered by significant squeeze. I have much less mobility standing chest deep in the water than I do later in the dive, deeper, where I have put a little air into the suit.

Didn't. Still working on that one. I can do it in my wetsuit no problem.

Thanks for the help everyone - There is ample length in the legs (about 4" too much actually) I think the issue is just suit material... As to the stretching excercises - thank you :wink: though in my wetsuit I can reach a lot further than needed, it's just in the change over to the ds. And yes I am using spring straps. I remember folks telling me to just go with the TLS from the beginning ... now I know why - yes you can say "I told you so" ... still hard to beat this suit for being tough crawling over sharp rocks (which I've done, and it left no marks) and price (I still wouldn't be able to afford the TLS)

Lynne - I know what you're saying about squeeze, that part of it I resolved by making sure there is a little excess both above and below my knees.

Aloha, Tim

TSandM:
You know, I was thinking about this as I got in the water and put my fins on today. One of the things that happens when you wade out into the water is that all the air in your drysuit gets squeezed upwards (and vented, if you have your valve open). So your legs are pretty severely squeezed. At least in my drysuit, my mobility is hampered by significant squeeze. I have much less mobility standing chest deep in the water than I do later in the dive, deeper, where I have put a little air into the suit.

Interesting point. I hadn't looked at it quite like that. I do notice that it's harder than I'd ideally like to get fins on when beach diving in d/suit.

TSandM:
Didn't. Still working on that one. I can do it in my wetsuit no problem.

It was tough for me in the singles too. One thing that's *way* easier in doubles.

just make sure you have some gas in the suit, and keep your head back against the 1st stage. If you still can't, then maybe the harness is not adjusted correctly.

Are you using the figure-4 position rather than trying to get your fin on in front of you?
Even easier is to just stick the reg in your mouth and either float on your back while donning fins or go face down and bend over to get the job done.

Reaching the valve for shut down is a combination of shoulder flexibility, tank mounted high enough, harness and crotch strap loose enough to shift the entire unit up and over a little, and making sure your suit is adjusted before you get squeezed so that the material does not get bunched up around the shoulders and chest.

Everything about diving dry is a matter of experience and little tricks you learn along the way.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom