Drysuit flexibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really like being warm in my DS here in the sub-tropics (yes, I know I'm crazy), but I am having trouble with flexibility in the suit. Especially when it comes to getting my fins on and off. 2 dives ago I finally gave up putting them on, walked out of the water, leaned up against a tree, put them on and then walked back into the surf zone again (kinda embarassing) First time it's been that hard, but it did make me wonder if perhaps there's something I'm doing wrong. (The other flexibility issue is reaching my valve on my singles rig)

I'm guessing I lost 3-4" mobility in bending my knees (suit is not tight at all, and the legs have lots of "excess" in length) and about 2-3" in reach behind my head for my arms. Btw - I can squat all the way down with the suit on, but can't seem to bend my knee as far when lifting my foot. I *can* reach down, grab my calf and pull my foot closer, it's just as if the muscles are not strong enough to go as far as I need them too (but not a problem in my wetsuit or street clothes).

Would anyone venture a guess as to if this is "normal", a fit issue, flexibility issue on my part etc..?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Would anyone venture a guess as to if this is "normal", a fit issue, flexibility issue on my part etc..?
A bit of e) All of the Above.

The thicker of undergarments I wear, the more my range is compromised. But the fit of both the suit and the undergarments play (IMO) the biggest part of the equation.

Thanks JeffG - I'm in pretty thin undergarments - 1/4" polypro union suit which is very stretchy/flexible. I did notice a bit less mobility when I added 2 more layers (for my Alabama dives) and a thick wool sweater, but not much.

kidspot:
Thanks JeffG - I'm in pretty thin undergarments - 1/4" polypro union suit which is very stretchy/flexible. I did notice a bit less mobility when I added 2 more layers (for my Alabama dives) and a thick wool sweater, but not much.
Another thing. You have the Next Gen (IIRC). Because of its material it is not as flexible as other drysuits. My old Next Gen and my DC are night and day for flexibility..

true - it's a fairly thick shell suit material - nice for abrasion (amazing the rocks I've crawled over without leaving a mark on this suit) but not as flexible I guess...

Just to take another stab at the mistery Q, Kidspot...even if there is ample size in the legs of your suit, if the inseam is a bit short--ie, not enough leg length--it could create just enough tension when you flex so that you can't bring that heel up to your hand. Mahjong

I go with Jeff's opinion. There are only two factors on flexibility, either dry suit material or undi... I am wearing DUI TLS and Weezle... This combination is more flexible than my casual jaeckt... With 400g Thisulate, it is a little bit restricted. With SW 300g, not at all.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom