Drysuit dumping problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vodolaz

Reaction score
My exhaust valve on my DUI is set to automatically dump at the lowest setting. Yesterday it operated normally below 20 ft, but above that it seemed to trap air. I'd lift my shoulder and roll slightly counterclockwise, but it didn't dump fast enough, or at all once or twice. This was especially noticeable at 10 ft and above. Once on the surface in a vertical position it would bubble like mad. I normally stay horizontal when diving.

Any suggestions on checking the exhaust valve? Or could this be a technique problem?

It is unfortunate... but DUI places the exhaust valve in the wrong location... somewhat toward the bicep... and this makes it difficult to dump air when horizontal prone.

You definitely need to stay ahead of the gas expansion in the suit and be prepared to do some acrobatics to orient the valve at the highest point.

You will probably need to get a little vertical every once in a while to eliminate gas from the suit.

Another option (which I have yet to exercise myself) is to relocate the dump valve.

I'll start venting sooner next time and see if you're right. Thanks.

If this continues to be a problem, I'll look into moving the valve.

To dump air from my DR 905 when shallow.

I'm thinking of getting a cuff dump.

Peter

So what's with the manufacturers all going to shoulder dumps? I did my OW cert dives with a rented suit that had a cuff dump. I had no problems with venting, even while horizontal, just lifted my arm and presto! So I finally save some money to buy my own suit and all I can find that fits me all have shoulder dumps. Now I have about 12 dives on this new suit and still can't seem to get comfortable with the dump. I think another of my problems is that I can't see it when I am dumping where I could monitor how much and how fast I was dumping with the cuff.

Dumping of my O'Neil is a royal pain. I have to push the button on the upper arm, even at the lowest setting, and as often as not also have to raise an arm and break the seal at the cuff to get a satisfactory dump. I've been doing it so long it's no big deal any more, but it's still more trouble than it ought to be.
Is *anybody* totally happy with their drysuit dump system?
Rick

I also recently had my dump valve moved from my shoulder to my forearm. I agree with lal7176, this is a whole heck of a lot easier than having the valve on the shoulder where it was before.

Jimmie

I love the position of my si-tec dumpvalve. It is very high on the arm, closer to the tricep. I leave the valve about 1/2 open and when I want to dump, I just slightly turn the shoulder up, give myself a hug and voila, gas gets dumped. I have never had to go vertical to get the valve to open, mabey to get some air out of the feet though....hey how about an ankle dump????:wink:

My Viking Xtreme does the same thing! How much would it cost to move that valve to the cuff? Bob3? Anyone?
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom