Drysuit dump valve location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thread with lots of good and informed opinions from active divers. On 4th generation Apollo suits the foot and wrist exhaust valves can easily be locked in the closed position if desired.

The very low profile shoulder exhaust valve has 3 settings, lock (manual), half, & auto.
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/documents/catalog/09.2009/Apollo 2010-01a Suit.pdf

Whatever configuration or suit you choose all the best for good diving, dry and warm.

WITHOUT dumping the suit if I don't want to.
There are many times when I look back over my left shoulder, for whatever reason like buddy awareness, and roll just a little and my Fusion dumps air like crazy. We were running along a wall, and my buddy was back a little behind scootering along. I kept having to look over my left shoulder which required a slight roll in order not to come off the trigger. I tried a few different ways of looking but found letting a little our air was not a big deal for seeing clearly where my buddy was. Now one could argue that they should have been next to me and I would agree, but that wasn't how it was to be. Vis was good and as the dive leader we never even came close to being separated by more than I was comfortable with the entire dive.

Both dump locations have their strengths and weaknesses.

As to accidentally dumping a cuff dump (Like when lifting your arm)...well, it is also really easy to reach over, or bring it over to your other hand, and close it for a minute or two.

Last edited:
The little cuff dump that Diving Concepts installed on my suit did not have the option of closing it, and I was told that was typical for cuff dumps.

I had a bad problem with inadvertently dumping my shoulder valve when getting stuff out of my left pocket, but that was fixable, because the motion could be done without raising the shoulder. I don't know if you can look behind yourself without rolling up (but I solve that problem by making anybody scootering behind me have a good light!) but I know I could NOT raise my wing inflator without raising my hand :)

There are many times when I look back over my left shoulder, for whatever reason like buddy awareness, and roll just a little and my Fusion dumps air like crazy.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that this also depends to a HUGE degree on the placement of the shoulder dump. My original exhaust valve was put very far forward (toward the chest), and it was almost impossible to dump in any orientation other than vertical or lying upside-down. I had it moved back (dorsally) a few inches and it vents much more easily now, to the point where I need to close the valve a few clicks if I want it to hold a bit more gas than ambient (which I greatly prefer, that's what the adjustable valve is for).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that this also depends to a HUGE degree on the placement of the shoulder dump. My original exhaust valve was put very far forward (toward the chest), and it was almost impossible to dump in any orientation other than vertical or lying upside-down. I had it moved back (dorsally) a few inches and it vents much more easily now, to the point where I need to close the valve a few clicks if I want it to hold a bit more gas than ambient (which I greatly prefer, that's what the adjustable valve is for).
Of the two shoulder dump drysuits I have owned they both seem positioned well, but I could see how one too far forward would cause big issues.

Sounds like we both use our exhaust valves in similar ways. Before ever rolling off the boat I close mine, and the same thing returning before I clip off then remove my rig, I close the exhaust valve and fill my suit then disconnect the inflator hose. When I am dealing with putting my weight belt back into the boat I need the extra buoyancy of an inflated drysuit.

During the dive the valve will often be one or two clicks in from fully open. On ascents it is full open. Challenging can be scootering over varying terrain as the depth can change quickly. Many times I have to come off the trigger and come up slow. Rapid ascents or many ascents are my nemesis, due to my left ear.

The little cuff dump that Diving Concepts installed on my suit did not have the option of closing it, and I was told that was typical for cuff dumps.
Yeah that would suck when trying to do any kind of work underwater.

I don't know if you can look behind yourself without rolling up (but I solve that problem by making anybody scootering behind me have a good light!)
I typically dive with people that either have LED's or very bright HID's. Everyone I scooter with has a can light. In bright daylight it doesn't do much, but you sure can see the light head with a quick glance. Meaning not the light spot placed either on your scooter or on the ground near the leader.
but I know I could NOT raise my wing inflator without raising my hand
icosm14.gif
That is actually one of the awesome things about a cuff dump. When you want to descend at the surface you put your arm up with your inflator in your hand, and down you go!

Now if you are in proper trim why would you want to raise your inflator instead of using your butt dump? Huh huh? :wink: I use my BC inflator for dumping sometimes *shrug*

Honestly, I've never bought into the "only vent your wing through the butt dump" thing. I use the butt dump a lot in caves, where you CANNOT raise up in front at all. But I use my wing inflator for dumping 90% of the time in open water.

I use both the shoulder and the wrist, which has a on/off function. I use a balanced rig so it's a rarity that I have vent my BCD as most of the air is in the suit. When shooting a bag I can turn off the wrist dump. I find that I can dump via wrist while maintaining proper trim and attitude in the water. I'll used the shoulder more with students but find an exaggerated wrist dump useful to remind students to dump air. Just my 2 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom