Drysuit diving training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time in dry suit and training. I don't know how the dive shop will accommodate my size for training. Perhaps, if the dive shop cannot provide a dry suit to train in, maybe they will let me buy a custom made suit at a discount?

Having paid for dry suit training, they may be obliged to make exceptions and help me out. I was going to buy a custom suit any way.

many dive shops provide most, if not all, gear required to complete an open water course. however, for continued training, this is not always the case.

for a drysuit course, larger shops may have rental suits for you to use. the hope obviously is that you will end up purchasing a suit from them. but if you think the shop is some how obligated to provide you with a well fitted suit for your course, i would suggest that is not the case.

Are you really that unusually sized? On the other hand, I can’t argue against it: I’ve had 2 custom made suits and they were not much more expensive than normal suits. Maybe you just need to ask around and learn who makes good custom drysuits.

A good shop offering drysuit training should have a good selection of drysuits to properly size a student.

Are you really that unusually sized? On the other hand, I can’t argue against it: I’ve had 2 custom made suits and they were not much more expensive than normal suits. Maybe you just need to ask around and learn who makes good custom drysuits.

A good shop offering drysuit training should have a good selection of drysuits to properly size a student.
I, personally am not an off the rack person. I have a really long torso, wide chest (52") and short stubby legs. At 6' with only 28" inseam, nothing really fits. For wetsuits, I can just bunch the legs up, but with a drysuit, custom was the only way it was going to work. That being said, like you, I found that custom can be had at a very agreeable price point, sometimes less than off the rack with the right company.

The legs were longer than I needed. The excess material wrinkled around my legs causing pain and discomfort.

I too have a drysuit with too long legs (custom made suits are too expensive). I solve this by making a fold (downward obviously) and then keeping those put by gators.
Heavier undergarmens help too.

If the suit squeezes, you have too little air in it and too little clothes underneath.

The primary skill to develop with a dry suit is buoyancy control. The "suit" is one big BCD.
"Squeeze" can be managed either by adding air or elevating the "squeeze area" to allow for air to shift within the suit. Be mindful that as the air shifts within the suit it impacts both trim and buoyancy. For example at 20 meters the suit with a little air might be just right. Ascend to 10 meters and the same gas volume in the suit doubles. If you dont vent as you ascend you'll pop to the surface.
Release value replacement is important. Each manufacturer has those values in different places i.e. shoulder, sleeve etc. You want to be able to release air easily. I dive a DUI, TLS. I prefer a shell type suit because I can modify under garments to suit conditions. I've dove just the shell in the Caribbean or with thermals off SoCal.
BCD trim becomes important as well as proper weighting. I've found using negative weighted fins to be helpful as well. I use Scubapro Jets. Please note I am not endorsing any brand. Proper Dry suit management is a a skill. Classes are good thing but so too is instruction from someone who actually dives in a dry suit regularly. And if you opt to get a custom suit made( good idea) get a relief value or relief zipper put in. Peeing in a dry suit is not cool. I'm just saying. Don't skip the deco stops.

Made to measure is the ideal way to go. A drysuit has to be a good fit or you will get all sorts of problems, particularly as an inexperienced diver. Some suppliers offer adjusted off the peg suits at lower cost than complete made to measure.

Back
Top Bottom