Drysuit diving(difficult or easy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm at around 60.. when I was at about 50 I was just getting it down, but then I went and threw doubles into the mix. Back to square one :wink:

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that it takes somewhere between 10 and 20 dives to really get the hang of it. I found it really difficult (in spite of taking a course); it's not only the buoyancy issues, which can be considerable, but the extra bulk that hampers dexterity, the extra weight, the heavy fins... It was like starting over from scratch.
Disclaimer: I only had ca. 45 dives before starting with the dry suit, so I had begun to get comfortable but still had--have--a lot to learn.
After 8 dives I'm finally getting more comfortable with the suit. It was much more difficult than I expected, but if I can do it anybody can.

Deborah

RiverRat:
Just make sure you either:

A: Get a qualified buddy that dives dry that can teach you or...
B: Take a drysuit course. Then go diving.

I would recommend the drysuit course, then find a buddy and dive.
I started diving dry (16 dives ago) with my bro-in-law for my 1st 2 dry dives. I then took the PADI course and didn't think it was worth anything (worthless drysuit instructor). I have the rest of my dry dives with my bro-in-law and "watch, listen and learn". Much more beneficial, from my perspective to have the mentor. So far, like RiverRat stated, "it's not rocket science", but there is a definite learning curve. For me, ascending is the most interesting. Making sure that the suit is venting correctly on the ascent is essential :wink:

I must be atypical, I did a shallow 15 min checkout dive with my TLS350 and then did a 55-min deco dive. I couldn't find anything mysterious or difficult about operating the suit.

Compress it, use the wing for buoyancy. Simple.

Hi,

My experience is the dry suit course + 9 dry suit dives, on ~50 dives total, take my view in that context, here it is FWIW:

Lots of excellent observations and advice in this thread already, I have done as well as I have because of such here on the board.

One observation not yet in this thread: be sure to practice the basic, key skills (reg recovery, switch to octo/backup, mask clear/remove-replace) with the drysuit. Things *are* different in the new gear (range of reach, sense of touch, where gear hangs), and in the colder environment it let's you dive in (sense of touch: hands, and lips on reg; cold shock on face with mask removal).

It's half like starting over, the trick is to be sure you know which half ;-)

Cheers,

Walter

cyklon_300:
I must be atypical, I did a shallow 15 min checkout dive with my TLS350 and then did a 55-min deco dive. I couldn't find anything mysterious or difficult about operating the suit.

Keep in mind you have between 500 and 1000 logged dives :)

bronce32:
Hi guys, I live in the mid-atlantic region(MD). Most diviers have told me that in order to really enjoy the local quarries and ocean in this area that dry is the way to go. My question is, is diving dry very difficult to transition into or rather uneventful?

I'd say it takes a minimum of 10 dives to make the switch. Somewhere in those 10 dives you'll experience (in no particular order) frustration, irritation, embarrassment, higher than normal air usage, worse than normal buoyancy control, at least one blown safety stop and you'll discover that certain curse words are audible to your buddy if you say them into your regulator.

After about 10 dives you'll start to get knack of it and shortly after that you'll wonder why you ever dove wet. If you ask me 10 or 15 dives is a small investment to make when the payback in comfort is so great.

R..

cyklon_300:

I used to use my BC for buoyancy up until last weekend. I had smaller boots refitted on the drysuit and 1.5 inches taken off the legs to minimize air trapping in the suit. Now I keep my BC completely empty and use my suit for buoyancy. Less venting / dumping to keep track of, I stay warmer, and I don't crush Big Jim n' The Twins anymore. :crafty:

In response to the original thread starter, I agree that it takes between 10 to 20 dives for the average diver to get properly acquainted with a drysuit and be confident in it.

Back
Top Bottom