Drysuit diving(difficult or easy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverSurfer7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, I live in the mid-atlantic region(MD). Most diviers have told me that in order to really enjoy the local quarries and ocean in this area that dry is the way to go. My question is, is diving dry very difficult to transition into or rather uneventful?

Well at first it's a little befuddling and can be frustrating at times, but after just a few dives it will be second nature and you won't even be thinking about it anymore. Getting a proper suit and undergarment (the undergarment is more important than you realize) will go a LONG way to making it easier to learn, too.

Go dry :D

jonnythan:
Well at first it's a little befuddling and can be frustrating at times, but after just a few dives it will be second nature and you won't even be thinking about it anymore. Getting a proper suit and undergarment (the undergarment is more important than you realize) will go a LONG way to making it easier to learn, too.

Go dry :D

Thanks Jonnythan

It kind of depends on how good you are now at trim and buoyancy. The more advanced you are, in my opinion the more dives it may take you to feel as good.

Ultimately, I bet you will find you are better in a dry suit.

Assuming it's not a neoprene suit, buoyancy control at shallower depths actually becomes easier as the variable buoyancy of your exposure protection is more under your control. You can't really control how a wet suit expands/compresses with varying pressure, but you can control the gas in your dry suit.

Like Jonnythan said, though, it will take a little getting used to. One friend who is a good diver said it took her 50 dives to really feel "dialed in."

bronce32:
Hi guys, I live in the mid-atlantic region(MD). Most diviers have told me that in order to really enjoy the local quarries and ocean in this area that dry is the way to go. My question is, is diving dry very difficult to transition into or rather uneventful?

Just make sure you either:

A: Get a qualified buddy that dives dry that can teach you or...
B: Take a drysuit course. Then go diving.

I would recommend the drysuit course, then find a buddy and dive.

It's not rocket science but you must practice diving for a few dives relatively shallow. You don't want to get into an uncontrolled ascent. You need to know what to do if that happens. You need to practice controlling buoyancy as you will now have 2 devices, the drysuit and the BCD. My first few dives in my new drysuit went ok. I realized I was not putting enough air in it and got cold. After I sorted that out I had to up my weight a bit, I was a little lite on a stop. That's why I recommend starting out on some shallow dives until you get the hang of it. It opens up a whole new world, go for it.

It all depends on too much to say whether it will take lots of work or next to none. However, the point is that it can be done and it is more than worth it.

i've 8 dives in my drysuit, first 2 thought this is okay, next 4 thought i'm never diving this thing again, i'm going back to my wetsuit, last 2 it started to come together..

it takes time and patience, but i'm getting there..jsut don't get frustrated early..

A little tough at first, then easier as you get some practice keeping the right amout of air in the suit to stay warm while still using your BC to manage buoyancy.

My advice is to try it out for yourself. Either pay for a drysuit class or attend a DUI DOG Rally where they will outfit you with a demo drysuit or two to let you get a feel for it. There is one this fall not too far from you in VA this fall, I think you just missed one a few weeks ago in PA.

Caution, they are expensive as h3ll and trying one out will probably make you want one in the WORST way, maybe you're better off not knowing how warm you can be in cold water. :wink:

I have about 10 dives into my new dry suit and I still don't have it down. It is getting better but I am having trouble figuring out my buoyancy. Each dive gets better but I still am not really comfortable like I was in my wetsuit. I would like to tag along on another dry suit class as mine was 1.5 years ago and I never dove dry after that class. Eventually I will get it figured out. But it is not an easy one for me. But at least I am warm when others are freezing! :eyebrow:
I would still recommend it if you are looking to extend your diving season.

I've got 6 dives in mine and love it. I did not take any courses, just listened when an experienced person spoke. Take it slow and think things through. Just keep in mind that when ascending, keep it slow, you potentially have two air pockets that will expand as you go up (bc and drysuit). That was my biggest concern. I also found that as I played with it, a little extra weight helped me in terms of figuring out the proper venting of the suit and helped keep me down while doing so. Go for it, its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom