Drysuit dilemma!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience and the experience of friends, I'd be VERY reluctant to depend upon a custom-order dry suit, especially if I were ordering one in England from a company in California. When custom dry suits come out right, they are lovely; but they quite frequently DON'T come out right, and then you are in an endless cycle of returning the suit for alteration, and waiting for it to come back (if, in fact, the suit can even be altered. Mine was not from DUI, but it was essentially a total loss).

The biggest beauty of the Fusion is that it doesn't HAVE to be perfectly fitted, and you can select and use your own choice of footgear.

From my experience and the experience of friends, I'd be VERY reluctant to depend upon a custom-order dry suit, especially if I were ordering one in England from a company in California. When custom dry suits come out right, they are lovely; but they quite frequently DON'T come out right, and then you are in an endless cycle of returning the suit for alteration, and waiting for it to come back (if, in fact, the suit can even be altered. Mine was not from DUI, but it was essentially a total loss).

The biggest beauty of the Fusion is that it doesn't HAVE to be perfectly fitted, and you can select and use your own choice of footgear.

I wonder if there is much feedback on the Fusion from hardcore wreck divers?

Considering the OP is from England, she'd be in great position to get custom Santi. Anyway, if getting ANY custom suit, never take the measurements yourself. Always have someone who will be responsible for the mess take measurements.

If it's something local you're wanting then check out Northern Diver's dry suits. My present suit is a Northern Diver Cortex. It's tough as nails and has worked great for me. Trouble is I lost 40 lbs since purchasing it and there is way too much air in it now. That's why I went for the new suit.

A few of my teammates dive Northern Diver as well and are extremely satisfied.

If you plan on going into wrecks make sure to get some seriously strong Trilam. Soft, lightweight material, while extremely comfortable, will probably end up in for repair more often than not.

If it's something local you're wanting then check out Northern Diver's dry suits. My present suit is a Northern Diver Cortex. It's tough as nails and has worked great for me. Trouble is I lost 40 lbs since purchasing it and there is way too much air in it now. That's why I went for the new suit.

A few of my teammates dive Northern Diver as well and are extremely satisfied.

If you plan on going into wrecks make sure to get some seriously strong Trilam. Soft, lightweight material, while extremely comfortable, will probably end up in for repair more often than not.

As much as I'm a fan of my DUI 350TLS, I have to concede the point that the thread originator would be better off ordering LOCALLY, rather than from North America.

If I recall correctly, O'Three & Otter are well known brands there. Why not give them a look?

Bonne chance,

if you want a tough suit try Pinnacle EVO 2..

From my experience and the experience of friends, I'd be VERY reluctant to depend upon a custom-order dry suit, especially if I were ordering one in England from a company in California.

Agreed. Particularly as there are some great drysuit manufacturers in teh UK who will make MTM suits.

I've had experience with both Otter and SeaSkins.

Otter Drysuits Home (Otter)
Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page (Sea Skin)

The Otter Brittanic is a great suit, though the seam under the arm tends to be a bit on the short side limiting mobility.

Sea Skin are renowned for great customer service. I nearly ordered a Nova for my last suit, but the risk of getting it shipped to NZ was too high.

For UK conditions, my vote would be a trilam suit.

Back
Top Bottom