Drysuit dilemma!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenaddyman23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im thinking if investing in my first drysuit but im so confussed! the main question is which are better, neoprene or the shell suit type?????
also im quite short and have got tiny feet so ones i have tried on from the self aways swap me, would to be better to buy a custom made one?
any help would be great thanks!

See if you can find a Whites Fusion to try on- the outer shell is very strechy so it should fit nicely.

The type of diving you do has a great deal of influence on the suit you buy. Will you be doing wreck penetration or just reef sightseeing? What is the temperature of the water you plan to dive in?

I was just measured for a Diving Unlimited International CLX 450 drysuit. I've got a heavier duty material on the top but lighter in the legs. Since I push my way through tight openings in sharp environments I wanted to have extra protection. If you're just doing light duty dives you might want something even lighter.

Presently I dive a Northern Diver Cortex which is made entirely from the heavy duty tri-lam. It is pretty heavy to drag around and more so to wear. Trouble is I lost a lot of weight and now the thing fills with air. Make sure the suit you get fits properly or you'll never see the end of buoyancy issues. Measuring me took 1/2 hour to do properly so don't just get a suit that fits your height.

You'll hear a huge debate about which drysuit to buy. Whites is popular as are the DUI. From my experience here and having spoken with some of the big dive shop owners (who sell numerous brands of drysuits) and DUI Dogs themselves, DUI owners are happy people.

I'm sure I'm not going to be the first one to vote for the Fusion. I've dove probably 20 or so dives on rental drysuits and have tried out quite a few. Nearly all were tri-lam suits and a couple neoprene suits. Tri-lam is the most versatile for different conditions, neoprene suites are tough as nails and add some warmth if cold/ice diving is the type of diving your doing.

By far the biggest problem I had was bubble management. The sizing of drysuits in the rental market is off-the-rack and so are merely a compromise to fit. That being said, there is usually a lot of extra volume for each given size of suit. I ended up with a Whites Fusion as the concept is sound. The outer suit provides uniform compression of the inner "bag" that eliminates a lot of the air. The other side affect is reduction of drag (less flaps, more streamline). The beauty of the outer skin/suit is that it doesn't really matter how big the suit is it always seems to be form fitting. This is likely ideal for a shorter person.

I don't have a lot of experience with it so far, but it truly dives like a wetsuit. I'm sure you can get the same performance in a custom fit, but at what cost? My Fusion cost be just over $1000Cdn.

Just my two cents (even if they are Cdn)

My opinion is that shell suit is definitely the way to go. The warmth comes from the undies not the suit - even though there is some truth to the fact that neoprene gives a little extra barrier especially the moemnt you enter freezing water.

Neo suits are a drag: Heavy, pain to dry (I see you are from England, I've lived there, nothing seemed to dry anyway :D!), and absolute horror to wear on hot days. Not to mention it must suck to pack them (I've only tried them, never needed to travel with them). Neo suits might be a little more flexible but when you get the right size shell suit there is no comparison there.

And get a custom cut. From your name and little feet I assume you are a woman. I had the same issue with feet when buying. When I got to my size the feet were huge, and that is nasty because air would migrate there and be an issue (although sometimes one would be able to just change the socks/boots for little $). However, as a woman - unless getting women's sizing - you will find that there will be other issues too. Custom cuts rock, just make sure you get someone who knows how to measure.

I don't know which suits are pricy there but coming from Europe I would recommend looking into Santi suits. I have DUI and would get another one. Several other companies make good suits.

Other features to look for are robust boots, front zip, suspenders, pockets - some of which can be added.

im thinking if investing in my first drysuit but im so confussed! the main question is which are better, neoprene or the shell suit type?????
also im quite short and have got tiny feet so ones i have tried on from the self aways swap me, would to be better to buy a custom made one?
any help would be great thanks!

In response to your question:
In the initial investment, the price of a custom drysuit will be expensive but the overall expense is worth it in the long run. I have had other drysuits but have found the DUI CLX450 and the DUI TLS350 to be the best of the bunch. They are the Cadillac of drysuits. The DUI CLX 450 is the more rugged of the suits if you are going to be doing heavy wreck diving or are going to be rough on your suit.

My suggestions for a drysuit would be:
- DUI TLS350 or DUI CLX450 signature series suit
- bellows pockets on both legs
- balanced pee valve - you get some thing called the "She-Valve" since you are female search for it on Google
- Turbo soles for boots
- Zip seals on your neck and wrists
- Tough duck overlay in your choice of color for the TLS350 suit
- CF200 knee overlays for extra protection

For undergarments:
I really like the new undergarments from Fourth Element. They make a great base layer and I have been using their Arctic series undergarments - very warm and comfortable!

My suggestions for a drysuit would be:
- DUI TLS350 or DUI CLX450 signature series suit
- bellows pockets on both legs
- balanced pee valve - you get some thing called the "She-Valve" since you are female search for it on Google
- Turbo soles for boots
- Zip seals on your neck and wrists
- Tough duck overlay in your choice of color for the TLS350 suit
- CF200 knee overlays for extra protection

I just ordered pretty much this. Mine's the 450 because I like the extra protection it offers for the wreck diving I do.

I got the Rock Boots rather than the Turbo Soles as the Soles looked a bit flimsy.

I thought about Zip Seals but after hearing from so many that they are expensive and unless you REALLY need to replace seals on the fly (making a documentary in the middle of nowhere) that they are not worth it. Couple that with the fact that the guy selling me the suit, who is in the business of dry suit sale and repair (that's all he does) said that for my type of diving (hardcore Technical) they just weren't worth it.

This past weekend I was on an Archaeological course and two of the divers had DUI suits. We chatted and like all DUI owners I've met they went on and on about how they loved their suits.

Mine should be here this week. I have a dive planned Friday morning so I hope it gets here before then.

Best of luck with your dry suit choice!

IMO look at DUI they make a great trilam suit. I like the clx 450, b/c it is very strong, and a thick outer shell. When I demod it at dutch, it got caught on an old metal ship and didn't even get a scratch considering i was pulling on it, to get free. DUI does make custom sizing i believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom