drysuit check b4 buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering buying the nex-gen drysuit (edit: Bare Nex-Gen Pro, to be exact). i've spent a lot on dive gear and diving lately, so would still need to explain this to girlfriend... (the more money i spend on dive gear, the less i have for spending on (non-dive related) things and activities with her)... and i make sure i have enough for living expenses. therefore i want to do a check before i buy.

this is my first drysuit, so a top-of-the-line custom cut suit is not in the cards, but the nex-gen's ML measures (as listed below) are very good for me. I'm just a hair over 6', maybe half inch over, so that's the only measure that might be tight right now. I weigh about 175 lbs right now, though I have a tendency to bulk up at times - i was about 190 before my last vacation about 5 weeks ago, adding both lean and not-so-lean mass, and then on dive vacations, I'm not able to hit the gym or eat large amounts of food & protein shakes so i shrink back to 170-175. Here are the listed size:

Size ML.
WEIGHT(lbs.) 170-195
HEIGHT(ft./in.) 5'10"-6'0"
CHEST(in.) 39-41
WAIST(in.) 33-35
HIP(in.) 39-41

I can buy the suit new for $850 shipped with 3-year warranty. Included would be
-trek boots
-hood and gloves (dry I presume, but need to double check)
-2 bellows pockets (one on each thigh)
-fleece undergarment ((150g)
-plus all the extra i need to dive it; hose, valves, bag, powder, manual, ...

I've just been diving in warm water on vacations so far, but I'd like to be able to dive here in the US and elsewhere. I may dive somewhere in Europe this Spring. Maybe Greece...

This is a big investment for me, so please let me know if you think this is a bad investment, or if I should look into something else? Also, is it worth getting the trek boots, hood and gloves right now? (I already have 6mm neoprene hood and boots, plus 1mm gloves.) Undergarment?

I've seen alot of goods words said about that suit and can't recall any real downers. There comes a point where any suit can get seriously damaged on a given day no matter what you pay for it so if you're into this for 1/2 to 1/3 of what you might spend for a decked out DUI it's hard to go wrong.

The Fleece will be limited in terms of insullation. I think a lot of the seasoned laminate suit divers will suggest upgradng to at least 200g Thinsulate.

Pete

That's not a bad price and at least the folks at BARE care enough about their suits that they use Si Tech valves on the critters.:wink:
The undies are a tad light weight but they can be bolstered by adding some military surplus polypro underneath.

I dive a Viking Sport and while it's not quite the same as yours it's still thin with no insulating value. For me I'm happy as a clam in 38 degree water with a 200gr undergarment, so I don't think you'll need anything beyond maybe a poly pro thermal to beef it up. I am hesitant on the height thing however, I don't know that suit, but if it's cut tight and is exactly 6' you might find it a bit too tight when you bend over to kit up, so check on that with whomever you'll be buying it from.

Or eBay. I am waiting on a drysuit I bought for $300. I could have never explained $700-$1500 on a new suit to my wife. She dives, but thinks it is stupid to get into cold water to dive. I will probably ahve to repair the suit, but that will be half the fun for me!

*Floater*:
Size ML.
WEIGHT(lbs.) 170-195
HEIGHT(ft./in.) 5'10"-6'0"
CHEST(in.) 39-41
WAIST(in.) 33-35
HIP(in.) 39-41
You probably won't be able to valve drills with this suit. I'm the same height as you and the MT had binding in the arms. (I am 165lb and the MT excluding the arm pit area, fit me like a custom)

Have you looked at the MLT size?

DivingCRNA:
Or eBay. I am waiting on a drysuit I bought for $300. I could have never explained $700-$1500 on a new suit to my wife. She dives, but thinks it is stupid to get into cold water to dive. I will probably ahve to repair the suit, but that will be half the fun for me!

i love ebay and if i knew more about drysuits then i'd probably try to find one from there, but right now i'd prefer to play it safe. don't know what questions i should ask of the sellers, etc. when it comes to drysuits...

JeffG:
You probably won't be able to valve drills with this suit. I'm the same height as you and the MT had binding in the arms. (I am 165lb and the MT excluding the arm pit area, fit me like a custom)

Have you looked at the MLT size?

I don't think they have MLT for this suit. If they did, then I'd get that. The next one up I believe is L with the following measurements:

Weight 190-215
Height 5'11"-6'1"
Chest 41-43
Waist 35-37
Hips 41-43

Height is good (my driver's license actually says 6'01", though I think I'm closer to 6'), but it would be a little loose otherwise unless I bulk up maybe...

*Floater*:
I don't think they have MLT for this suit. If they did, then I'd get that. The next one up I believe is L with the following measurements:

Weight 190-215
Height 5'11"-6'1"
Chest 41-43
Waist 35-37
Hips 41-43

Height is good (my driver's license actually says 6'01", though I think I'm closer to 6'), but it would be a little loose otherwise unless I bulk up maybe...
Bare has a MLT...but if you are looking at LeisurePro, I believe they do not carry that size.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61310

Weight 180-200
Height 6' - 6'2"

JeffG:
Bare has a MLT...but if you are looking at LeisurePro, I believe they do not carry that size.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61310

Weight 180-200
Height 6' - 6'2"

Thanks. I was going to order from divetank. I'll ask if they carry the MLT size. My measures by the way are:

weight 175 lbs (will probably go up 5-10 lbs as i hit the weights again)
height 6' and half inch
chest 39-40" depending on whether i exhale or inhale, measured at nipple height (will probably go up to 41" in the next few months)
waist 31-32" (measured at thinnest area above bellybutton), and
hips 35-36" (waist and hips may go up or down an inch or so depending how successful i am at the gym)

MLT measures are:
weight 175-200
height 6-6'02"
chest 39-41"
waist 33-35"
hips 39-41"

so it may still be a little loose around the hips, but I think it's my best bet. I'll still wait another day or two before ordering in case people have other suggestions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom