Drysuit boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
What do people prefer, incorporated drysuit boots, or seperate boots fitting over a soft neoprene sock (like DUI RockBoots)?

Good question! I have both as I have two suits. One is a Cf 200 with rock boots the other is a Harvey's with built in boots. I have big feet (14) so either can be a problem with finding fins to fit. The rock boots are a little smaller the the Harvey's boots. Both are a tight fit. Only Turtle fins will fit the Harvey's boots. I can cram the rock boots into the foot pocket of my bio fins...but they are tight. I guess I like the sock type best because it allows one to pick and choose your type of boot to include some of the better made wetsuit boots like the Seasoft boot. I have been and will most likley continue to wear the Turtle fins with both as they feel better and are easier to take on and off with the spring steel straps installed.:)

Another Rock Boot fan here. They lace up nice and tight over your sock/bootie and are great from shore diving here in the Pacific Northwest. We often have to walk over wet, seaweed covered rocks, and the rock boots give you very solid footing on shore.

In the water, they are nice and tight on your feet, so there's no chance of any excess air migrating into your boots.

The only downside that I have seen to them is that sometimes people forget to bring them ( as they are not attached ). I have seen several divers wearing Tennis Shoes over their sock/booties because they forgot to bring their Rock Boots. Pretty funny, but I guess it works.

Boydski

I've had incorporated boots on the two drysuits I've owned. I like 1.) the fact that I never forget the boots, and 2.) the heavy boot material that helped provide just a bit more insulation against the cold.

On the other hand, I don't have the fit problems a size 14 does.

I have DUI rock boots and would never go back....a felt sole would be great for the rocks though

I have had attached boots of one sort or another on all my drysuits except for a DUI CF200 I had a while back before rock boots came out.... it had hard soles on the socks... I didn't like it at all. The boots on the Andy's I have are very warm but I have to put a strap around my ankles to keep my feet in them snugly.

I just bought a new CF200 so will have an opinion soon on the rock boots... I am not thrilled with the idea of laces acting as a snag hazard but I am sure there has got to be a better solution that wrapping them around your ankles and tucking the ends into the boot top.

Both Pearce & I have the DUI Rock boots... love 'em!

They are much superior to having a "built in boot"... give you great traction in just about any entry/exit conditions. Also, lacing up seems to act like gators... gets rid of all that excess air that can be trapped down in that area. (No longer need ankle wts!)

As for a "snagging hazard"... never heard of it happening.... where did you get this idea?

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner
As for a "snagging hazard"... never heard of it happening.... where did you get this idea?

~SubMariner~
A week ago while diving with someone who had a rockboot trailing about 14" of lace knotted at the end to form a dandy loop just waiting to snag on something.

UP~
Mine have a velcro closure tab on the back, I (and everyone else I know that uses them) Just wrap around the ankles and close the tab over them. It has always(so far) held them very secure. No trailing and snags here.

Not to say that it is not a possibilty, I guess someone could always use Duck(Duct)Tape.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom