Drysuit Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergirl6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver and, under guidance, I bought a used O.S. systems shell suit for $100 off Craigslist. :D It's pretty old, but the owner took really good care of it and it's basically like new after about 10 years. Plus, it fits me and I'm really small - 5'2", 105 pounds. For some reason, the owner had latex feet on it instead of attached boots and I was going to wait to attach boots to them until the latex died. Instead of boots, I've been wearing old tennis shoes - kind of weird, I know, but I was advised to and it worked pretty well on my first day diving in it. Last week, I dove in it again and my shoes were coming off underwater. It was pretty awful and even when the straps on my fins were really tight, the shoes still felt like they were slipping off - VERY uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure now that I want attached boots before the latex feet die.

My question is, does it matter that the suit is old? Will I still be able to get boots for it? What kind of boots are advised? I just want your thoughts on my dilemma...

Thanks!

divergirl

I assume you meant neoprene socks and not latex?

I have neoprene sock on my suit and use Scubaboots over them to protect the socks. I guess tennis shoes will also works. Fitting boots to a suit is very easy, but costly and the age of the suit will not have an impact on what you fit.

I prefer the socks as you can cheaply replace the boots if they become old/broken and you can turn the suit fully inside out to clean and dry the inside. With boots attached to the suit this is not possible.

Hope this helps.

I'm a new diver and, under guidance, I bought a used O.S. systems shell suit for $100 off Craigslist. :D It's pretty old, but the owner took really good care of it and it's basically like new after about 10 years. Plus, it fits me and I'm really small - 5'2", 105 pounds. For some reason, the owner had latex feet on it instead of attached boots and I was going to wait to attach boots to them until the latex died. Instead of boots, I've been wearing old tennis shoes - kind of weird, I know, but I was advised to and it worked pretty well on my first day diving in it. Last week, I dove in it again and my shoes were coming off underwater. It was pretty awful and even when the straps on my fins were really tight, the shoes still felt like they were slipping off - VERY uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure now that I want attached boots before the latex feet die.

My question is, does it matter that the suit is old? Will I still be able to get boots for it? What kind of boots are advised? I just want your thoughts on my dilemma...

Thanks!

divergirl

As was already covered what you have are set up for rock boots which look like tennis shoes. What I have heard works very well is taking a pair of Converse Chuck taylors taking the sole out and using them . Cheaper than the 90.00 rock boots what you want to make sure is that you have High tops to provide ankle support from climbing in and out on the beach and to prevent you from having the "my shoe is falling off feeling" I would not recommend you spending the money on changing out the boots to turbo soles just because of the cost. Dive what you have and keep looking for your next DS.

Both styles work well for what they are designed for. I actually have one of each and use the rock boots for beach and walk ins and the turbo soles for boat diving.

Welcome to the world of DS diving it is great but can get $$ fast

Unless you feel you MUST have attached boots, socks are a nice way of diving dry, because they give you a variety of footwear to choose from depending on how you dive. I use standard high top neoprene booties one size larger than usual, and they do a much better job keeping the bubble out of my feet than the attached boots ever did (this assumes you don't use the suit for buoyancy). Then you have rock boots if you are going to be a mountain goat before and after a dive. :)

Hi Divegirl6:

You should be able to attach a DUI Turbo Sole "like" shoe or a heavy duty rubber boots (such as those on Viking drysuits) should be possible. I would think that having a neoprene sock with a sturdy overshoe/boot (such as DUI Rock Boots or Whites Evo3 shoes) would give you a more stable platform. You'll have a more form fitting shoe and one that you can snug down with laces.

Did the laces of your tennis shoes come undone during the dive? This has happen a couple of times to me and it does feel like my foot is falling out. Also, most dive boots are high tops which cradle your ankle. This provides stability but also allows the manufacturer to add a fin strap keeper to the boot. I'm wondering if your fin straps are actually pushing your shoe downward away from your heel.

The laces did not come undone. I feel like when I kick, the shoes are just coming off because of the motion. I should be getting some lighter fins soon - my current ones are really heavy and stiff - and that might help. I do think high tops would work much better, as the fin straps might be pushing my shoe downward. I'll try that. Thanks.

And, just clarifying, it is latex not neoprene.

Before you go to the expense of having boots or TurboSoles put on your suit, you might try some other shoe choices.

The Converse High Tops are pretty secure on one's feet. Another choice would be shoes like these: Aquatech Shoes I have a slightly different set of Gill Marine boat shoes, but they also have the Velcro straps, and they're pretty secure.

I have these and they work fine. That is a good price IMHO.

Unfortunately, I have to say mine are starting to delam from the body of the boot. I'm going to have to aquaseal them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom