Drysuit boot question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two drysuits. Both have attached socks, one neoprene and one latex. With the latex you have to be very careful. By comparison the neoprene socks are sturdy but only by comparision.

It makes no difference in that regard whether you use drysuit boots or wetsuit boots or tennis shoes. I personally dislike Rockboots but do like Bare Trek boots (thicker/warmer bottom) which makes a big difference if you ever have to spend your surface interval with snow around. Rockboots have very thin bottoms with almost no thermal protection.

Some drysuits have permanently attached boots. I've seen and heard of more people having their foot slip out of them than overboots fitted to attached socks. I've actually never seen this happen since the socks usually are more tightly fitted to your foot than attached boots. Once you have an overboot laced up/velcroed if it fits it's awfully hard to come off.

If you are someone who has their tennis shoes come off in everyday life perhaps it could be a problem.

Some drysuits have permanently attached boots. I've seen and heard of more people having their foot slip out of them than overboots fitted to attached socks.
I have worn many drysuits (both custom and off-the-rack) over the last 16 years, all of them with attached boots, and would have to say that it would be a pretty ill-fitted suit that allowed your foot to come out of the boot unintentionally. It has certainly never happened to me.

It's happened to me in two different suits.

I do like the TurboSoles, because of the velcro strap around the ankle. I think they'd be hard to kick off.

High top Chucks or the low cut version?

("Back in the day," (in high school), we'd buy two pairs of Chucks in our High school colors. We all wore one green and one white one each day. Of course, they cost about $12 a pair then!)
I use the high-top Chucks. IMO The top couple holes will hold them better around the ankle to keep them from slipping.

"High top Chucks or the low cut version?"

Same answer as Parzdiver. I use the high tops, and find them very comfortable, and while I haven't tried them, I don't think I'd fine the low tops as secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom