Drysuit Blues ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I generally have a bit of leakage on my latex wrist seals. Using hands, flexing etc has always sent bits of water up my forearms.

This year, I decided to unzip the latex seals and zip on dry gloves. To my delight, I enjoyed the first day of totally dry diving ever. However, I had only one evening to revel in my moisture-free bliss.

The next day before the first dive, I miss-stepped into a rocky hole and punctured the side of my danged turbo soles. Three wet-legged dives were to follow. Oh well, now I'm praying to the Aqua Seal god...

On a side note, my first impression of zip gloves is that they are a bit cumbersome during gear up. I'll probably get used to that, but I think a glove system that could be attached after gear up has some merit...

Jim

Hi Jim, I went through this same thing with the gloves a couple years ago. I switched to the DC ring system and it's been heaven ever since. I can truly say that dollar for dollar the DC Dry Glove system is maybe top 5 of all time Scuba purchases for me.

Sorry to hear about your Turbo Soles. Bummer.

-Chris

I still haven't dived that much in my suit but I have latex seals and never had a problem. I've been totally dry on every dive. *knocks wood* Why are your seals leaking? Do they stretch over time? I"ve had my suit for more than a year and they're still tight.

jiveturkey:
I still haven't dived that much in my suit but I have latex seals and never had a problem. I've been totally dry on every dive. *knocks wood* Why are your seals leaking? Do they stretch over time? I"ve had my suit for more than a year and they're still tight.

Sometimes with very thin or muscular ppl, when they move their wrists it will allow for some leakage.

I don't fall into the thin category, so I'll have to hope I qualify as muscular...When I move my fingers or hand, it creates rather marked channels down the wrist. As scubatwo says, some folks are just built that way.

If I have a dive where I have absolutely nothing to do with my hands in the water, I would have a chance of coming out dry....

Hey, Chris...I was really thinking about the DC ring system as you and I had discussed, but I already had the zip seals so I thought it would be strange to put the rings on top of a zip seal system. It would have to be the most expensive glove fix ever....

However, on saying that, the 125 bucks I spent for the zip gloves wasn't cheap either...

ScubaTwo:
Sometimes with very thin or muscular ppl, when they move their wrists it will allow for some leakage.
So are you trying to say I'm a wimp or that I'm fat? :wink:

jagfish:
I thought it would be strange to put the rings on top of a zip seal system. It would have to be the most expensive glove fix ever....

It's basically the same thing you did (zip gloves) but I can remove my gloves whenever. I think that's the biggest appeal along with fact that if I tear my glove during a dive my whole suit won't flood (albeit unlikely), as you know the DC system allows for the inner latex seal to remain.

Of course either way is totally dependent on the zip seal itself.

jagfish:
Hey, I didn't know you had the zip seals, too!

What do you use to allow pressure equalization down to the glove?

BTW- nice trim in your avatar and profile pictures!

Thanks! That's nice of you to say.

For the seals I use a piece of two inch surgical tubbing. It works very well!

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom