Drysuit Air dump valves issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just replaced my air dump valve on my CLX450 with an Apex.

I know air dumps slower than a bc and the valve needs to be at the highest level to dump.

I get water in my drysuit if I hold down the button on my dump valve.

I would like comments and tricks on dumping air out of your dry suit.

Someone mentioned another brand of a dump valve that dumps air faster and easier.

Can you use another brand on a DUI suit?

What does everybody think the best valve for ease of releasing the air in their drysuit?

Ah I hear you Bogie! I struggled with my low profile Apex for quite some time before I just gave up and bought a SiTec dump valve.

Suddenly dumping was not an issue :).

I dont have much experince with the issues personally just from what I read from others review they typically lean more toward the SiTech valves then apks. I have the Si Tech valves and have never have gotten any water in through it. whether it fully open/closed or being depressed and Valve works perfectly Open it will allow air to rush for me 1-2 clicks from fully open is where i like it.

Boogie,

I was in your same situation. I was having a lot of difficulty with the low profile Apeks dump valve, and was recommended, the Si-tech valve.

I came really close to changing out the dump valve, but with more drysuit dives about 20, something started to change.

I gained a little better trim and my dump valve started responding better.

I would tilt the arm up instead of using the chicken wing method, I would feel start to feel the air bolt right out, once I saw the air and gained more confidence in the dump valve things changed.

Things got even better when I was videoed by a friend and literally saw the air rush out flawless, I knew I was doing better.

Give it a little more time if you can, practice does help so much. :)

MG

Last edited:
Raise your left arm straight out in front of you at a raised 45 deg., you'll feel the air bubble fill the sleeve, then bring your fist back towards your chest, bending at the elbow and you'll hear/feel the air release.

It's likely not a valve issue, it's probably just technique.

I get water in my drysuit if I hold down the button on my dump valve.
If you hold down your dump valve, you are manually activating it. If the valve isn't at the highest point or there's no air inside of the suit beneath the valve, then water's going to get in there.

It's actually a built-in feature of your exhaust valve. Even if the valve is screwed down completely (fully closed), one can still dump air from it by pushing down on it.

I'd recommend not activating your valve manually. Adjust the dumping pressure (screw it counterclockwise/clockwise) throughout the dive to keep the desired amount of air inside your suit. The valve will dump air when it needs to. Many people leave the valves completely open, and some close it down a few clicks from fully open. With some practice, I think you'll find that no water will be coming through your valve.

Having said that, over time, especially if you're crawling around in the sand doing surf entries/exits, sand/grit can get inside the valve and cause it to leak. This can be dealt with by removing the valve from the suit and giving it a good rinsing in hot water...sometimes it may even be necessary to take the sucker apart (not for the faint of heart). Lynne (TSandM) posted about her Si-tech exhaust valve dissection on this thread. I'm not familiar with the Apeks exhaust valves...perhaps they are similar.

FYI, the Si-tech exhaust valves are very good. Viking sells a "hazmat" exhaust valve (also made by Si-tech) that has a one-way check valve incorporated into its design. The check valve is supposed to prevent any water from coming through the valve even if you hold down the button.

Last edited:
Raise your left arm straight out in front of you at a raised 45 deg., you'll feel the air bubble fill the sleeve, then bring your fist back towards your chest, bending at the elbow and you'll hear/feel the air release.

It's likely not a valve issue, it's probably just technique.

Humm I've heard about this technique - but never mastered it. But since I swapped to the SiTec all I do is slightly roll my shoulder.

I actually need to tighten the valve 1/4+ turn to keep the air from dumping when I check my SPG.

I just bought a new DUI with a high profile Apex & am excited to try it out. I've heard that the dumping is easier than with the low profile Apex - guess I'll find out.

Last edited:
Humm I've heard about this technique - but never mastered it. But since I swapped to the SiTec all I do is slightly roll my shoulder.

I actually need to tighten the valve 1/4+ turn to keep the air from dumping when I check my SPG.

I just bought a new DUI with a high profile Apex & am excited to try it out. I've heard that the dumping is easier than with the low profile Apex - guess I'll find out.

I've heard the hi-profile valves dump easier also. I've also noticed a difference in valve performance between different undergarments. My DUI powerstretch doesn't seem to dump as easy as my others.

In my experience using the arm pump technique is the most reliable method for controlling the suit bubble; especially on ascents.

I like the SiTech valves, but that's because my one Apeks valve leaked.

Although exhaust valves can get gummed up if repeatedly used and not adequately cleaned, most of the problems people have with venting a dry suit are really technique issues. Figuring out how to get the valve to the highest point is important. So is starting to vent the suit early enough so that the big bubble doesn't get away from you. Proper weighting, so that you are not trying to squeeze the last four molecules of air out of the suit at the end of the dive, can help a lot, too.

SiTech!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom