Drysuit advise for a new suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartandude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking into different options for getting a new drysuit. I live in MI so diving the great lakes does get cold under the thermocline 40s I have heard, and to have a longer season. Currently I am not doing ice dives over the winter, but could see taking advantage of the better visibility and extended season. I do want to to do my technical courses when work allows as well maybe next year. I am a bigger guy so I am thinking I most likely need a custom suit. I have seen a lot of good reviews on the seaskin, and some about the predator drysuits. Talking to local dive shops they recommend a Bare Trilam tech dry custom, Hollis BTR 500, or Pinnacle-Liberator font entry drysuit (a King 1 may work, plan to get measurements taken this weekend). I understand supporting your LDS, but also do not want to over pay if I do not need to. With the season coming to an end I am not in a rush to get a suit, plus once the gyms shut down due to covid I found over 30lbs somehow... I am looking to hit the gym again once I am able to go back to MI since I am currently in NY for work. I am not hard set on a trilam, but talking to people seams like the better way to go. I have not heard many people speak highly of neoprene. I currently have a neoprene drysuit I bought used, that I normally seam to get wet when using and when I was lighter was at about the limits of the suit. Whenever we do a leak test it passes though. I do try to take a trip to FL every winter, but can always dive with my 5 or 3 mm wetsuits there. Looking forward to the input of people not trying to benefit from making a sale off of me. Thanks

I plan on buying a new suit in the next 12 months or so. Was leaning heavily toward a Seaskin Nova. After my buddy received his new Nova, I am sold. Very nice suit.

DW

I have both trilam and neoprene Seaskin suits, I’m warmer in neoprene, it more comfortable and is easier to dive but I more often dive the trilam because it’s front zip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom