Drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

As the winter came, I am thinking seriously about a drysuit. I have decided on the fact that I would like a trilaminate one (ideally with cordura exterior, because there are lots of things that may cut it in the Black Sea - specially the mussels that grow everywhere). I would like a front zipper, with a protection cover (like another plastic zipper over the first one or something similar). I will use wet gloves and hood. The suit should have neoprene socks and separate rock boots (for rough shore entries). I want latex cuffs and neck (ideally with neoprene covers against cold).

I don't know if I want an auto-pressure valve, or a basic one.. any advices here?

Regarding the brands, I have a good local offer for a Scubapro Fjord HD FJORD - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC together with a Subtech 100 undergarment and rock boots for 1366 USD.

I have also found the Seaskin drysuits ( Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page ) which seem to have nice prices and a lot of UK divers say they are fine.

The famous US brands like DUI are over my budget.

Can anybody tell me anything about the Scubapro Fjord or the Seaskin Nova, or tell me about other brands easily found in Europe? I would enjoy of course paying as little as possible (the budget is tight), but I don't want to buy a drysuit every year, so I do care a lot about quality. I would like to buy a good/solid dry suit that would help me enjoy the cold season, not annoy me. If you'll tell me that both Fjord and Nova are poor quality and/or I cannot find anything good at a reasonable price (900-1400 usd) I would probably not buy it this year at all.

I know it is a complex topic, and I have read the posts here, but unfortunately most of them are focused on US-available brands, which are pretty expensive in Europe.

I am not sure if it is available at a reasonable cost in Europe, but the Pinnacle Evolution 2 is a cordura trilaminate front entry suit, it has latex wrist and neck seals, and has a protective flap over the zipper. it does not have neoprene socks, but has vulcanized rubber boots, that you can put rock boots over. I have only done my third dive in the suit, but the first two were in a quarry loaded with zebra mussels, and the last one was in a rocky area that also has mussels, fishing hooks, and other sharp objects around.

I just purchased the Pinnacle Evo 2 and it is just as you described. Fantastic suit, bomb proof

I own a Seaskin nova suit. I am happy with it. I ordered mine with a full Cordura covering on the suit. It was only available in complete black if you went that route.
I ordered all the options you mentioned except for integral boots. I also went with a relief zipper but dont know if I would do that again. The suit has held up quite well. My dive buddy also ordered one and is happy with it also.If you have any questions just ask.

Russ

The Pinnacle Evo 2 seems to be slightly expensive ~1700 USD :-(
That was the going price in the dive shop I got mine from. I didn't pay that much, but that was the original price.

I just purchased the Pinnacle Evo 2 and it is just as you described. Fantastic suit, bomb proof
I am very happy with it so far. The owner of the dive shop game me a great price on it, he was still pushing the DUI, but I just cant justify the cost, the seals didnt seam as durable, and the suit just didn't impress me as much as the Pinnacle.

Any idea why nobody knows about the Scubapro Fjord drysuit? It sounds fine in the specs. Is it that bad or what?

Back
Top Bottom