Dry Tortugas Live Aboard Thanksgiving Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how long/deep are the dives usually. if i dont dive nitrox will i still be able to get the 8 dives a day in?

DawgDiver:
Hey Marvel, one thing I just thought of.... does the boat provide any alcohol or is it BYOB?

BYOB....

Spoke to Sherry. She confirmed that the only 2 spots left are the two that were originally booked by someone no longer going & will be cancelled. I'll reach out to that person & confirm so that we know for sure. Sooooo.....looks like we have us a full boat!!!! :fruit:

Dive site depths can vary depending on what we point the captain to.
There are some truly amazing sites down in the Tortugas.

Checking my divelog data for Rebecca Shoals, Marquesas Bank, Dry Tortugas
Average depth ... mid 45-50ft,
Max depths, typically 50-60-70
Dive times ... under 60 min.
8 dives a day ..... you do the math and dive planning.
The few times we did manage 7 dives in a day we included a night dive
and that was not on too hectic a dive schedule.

Trying to get as many dives in as possible means getting folks Off the boat
as well as back On the boat in a timely manner. It sounds like we have a mix of
hunters, spearos, as well as photographers. The more coordinated we get as a group,
the more dive sites we can explore.

BYOB ... and BYO Cooler ... and mmmaybe ice.
The 4 times I've been on the boat they were kind enough to top off peeps coolers with
ice prior to leaving the dock. If we can consolidate smaller coolers into bigger ones it
means more deck space.

Sleeping bags work, but after a looong day of diving, I prefer some nice sheets and a
blankie, pillow. Bring your own towel for topside, and maybe another for the shower
below deck. Some clothespins are helpful for clipping towels, suits to the topside rail.

DO bring a compass, as I recall they do mostly anchor diving, which means navigating
your way back to the boat. Surface swims are not a good idea. Ditto on chase boat
retrievals ... only if necessary.

A good checklist is at
http://www.ezscuba.com/ult__gtwy__checklist.htm

Captndan:
so no spots left?

Right now it looks like 2 spots left.... better hurry up and call.

SFLDiver:
BYOB ... and BYO Cooler ... and mmmaybe ice.
The 4 times I've been on the boat they were kind enough to top off peeps coolers with
ice prior to leaving the dock. If we can consolidate smaller coolers into bigger ones it
means more deck space.

I agree. We'll just try and get a couple people to bring big chest coolers (I'll probably bring one) so we can save space.

Sherry at UG is making a stand-by list. A friend of mine talked to her this morning and she said that the boat is full but she expects 2 cancellations. So he's #1 on the cancellation list. Hopefully he'll make the trip.

Yup, think dorm living with a good 4-6" foam matress, bunk-style.
You'll be soo tired from a day packed with diving
you zonk out shortly after laying down.

I call DIBS on the lower backmost hallway bunk, rear quarters. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom