dry throat problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I the only person who just sucks in a little water, swishes it around and spits it back out? I occasionally get a little dry and when I do that I'm good for another 30 minutes or so, which gets me to about 50 minutes, by which time my dive is pretty much finished anyway.

I also let in some water when I have the cotton mouth. After 90 minutes on the dpv it gets pretty dry so while scootering I just remove my reg, let some water in, pop my reg back in and blow. Real easy stuff

she is healthy and on no meds.
Hydration ihas always been a high priority for us.
she doesnt drink
As she is a new diver, she is still renting regs. a22shady brings up a good point regarding reg flow. being as this is an intermitent problem, could it just be a difference in flow between different regs? too much flow?

she is healthy and on no meds.
Hydration ihas always been a high priority for us.
she doesnt drink
As she is a new diver, she is still renting regs. a22shady brings up a good point regarding reg flow. being as this is an intermitent problem, could it just be a difference in flow between different regs? too much flow?

Is she floating more than swimming?

As others have mentioned make sure you are well Hydrated. One thing that really helped me as I used to get Dry thraot Bad to where it would start hurting toward end of the dive that I had to to take the regs out my mouth and let some water in (Fresh water) it helped but didnt fix the problem. So I did some more searching and also asked one of the repsonses I had gotten was to Detune the Reg turn the knob back in so that it doesn't flow as much air. Reasons for this as people are different some of us if there is too much air flowing to quickly it can dry your throat and your body can not I guess lubricate it quick enough. So I did detune My reg I closed the knob all the way and breathed from it was fine I did turn it about 1/4 turn back out and never had a problem since.
@a22shady: Your post is a little puzzling to me. The underlying assumption seems to be that the dry throat phenomenon is caused by suboptimal reg adjustment, more specifically, too much overall gas (total volume) coming through the mouthpiece and/or too high of a flow rate of the gas.

On a theoretical basis, I'm not sure how detuning (increasing the cracking pressure by manipulating the breathing adjustment knob) would decrease the total amount of gas for each inhalation and/or flow rate of the gas delivered. After all, this would be akin to sucking less hard on the reg in order to initiate gas flow. Should that really result in less dry throat? On the other hand, I could see that moving the Venturi switch to the "pre-dive/-" position would prevent diaphragm "suction" from occurring, which would make it more difficult to maintain gas flow once it's already been initiated. In my mind, that would decrease the total amount of gas for each inhalation.

Perhaps one of the reg gurus here on SB will stumble upon this thread and weigh in on the matter.

I don't see how the tune of the regulator effects the amount of gas you breath. Any regulator I have used just gives me whatever air I want. It is not like it forces it down my throat.

Am I the only person who just sucks in a little water, swishes it around and spits it back out? I occasionally get a little dry and when I do that I'm good for another 30 minutes or so, which gets me to about 50 minutes, by which time my dive is pretty much finished anyway.

No, you are not. My daughter does this almost every dive in fresh water.

? not positive what you mean there. she was quick to get a handle on her buoyancy skills if thats what your refering to.

? not positive what you mean there. she was quick to get a handle on her buoyancy skills if thats what your refering to.
@wilson23: I think Dashrynn is asking about your gf's activity level during the dry throat episodes. If she was finning hard underwater, then there's a good chance that she was breathing hard. That may be a contributing factor.

[Edited later: I see that I'm not a very good mind-reader. Dashrynn gets dry when not working hard in the water.]

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom