Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easier to pack? Every drysuit i've packed folds up the same way ... I'm lost.

Well the new DUI 30/30 is considered tropical, quite thin but with ankle seals as well instead of built on boots.

Cheekymonkey:
Easier to pack? Every drysuit i've packed folds up the same way ... I'm lost.

According to the advertisements:
-Easier to pack and lighter than a wetsuit.
-Takes less room in luggage than a traditional dry suit.

Question is if that is true? If so how much; trivial or significant?

Note:
My Diving Concepts Cordura suit isn't hard to pack. But it consumes most of a large suitcase. In today's 2 pieces of checked luggage each 50# maximum world such things are important.

John4455:
I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting a dry suit. I have never dove one and my knowledge is limited. Any suggestions on what to look for? There seems to be alot of differences in the suits. Front zip, back zip, booties or socks, different materials, dump valve locations maybe.....:huh:
They aren't cheap and its not like the LDS has a huge inventory hanging on the racks.
Any info that anybody would like to share would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Johnny

Fit, fit, fit.

If the suit does not properly fit you won't use or enjoy the suit.

John4455:
I am entertaining the idea of maybe getting a dry suit.
First, let me warn you, there are few issues in diving that have more opinions backed by less data that dry suit selection. I doubt if there are more than a few divers on the board here who have, long term, dove more than one or at most two different designs of suit. Dry suits are very expensive items and folks get real ego involved when they make multi thousand dollar decisions, if you know what I mean. Most folks dive what their instructor or LDS tells them to, and unfortunately most Instructors have limited dry suit experience and most LDS only have one or two brands of suit to sell you and don’t really understand the advantages and drawbacks of even those suits. Continued

Thassal does give good advice that certainly applies to me as well since I have only tried 2 brands, so defeinently see if you have any buddies that might let you try theirs.

suthnbelle:
Hi Johnny,

lso, anytime you're looking for local dive buddies let us know. We have a fairly active group and some dive at Lake Norman Quarry if you're ever interested in joining us. Divers Supply out of Charlotte usually dives there one night a week as well.

Hope this helps,
Mel

Thanks Mel,
I started diving there last summer and would dive with Rob and his group from time to time. I think my last dive there was October, but now its just too cold to dive there wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom