Dry Suits, Self donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender:
my 2c. my front zip dui is not any easier to get in and out of. the zipper is long and can get stuck up on my shoulder. granted i can always zip it myself, but sometime with difficulty. my last suit the zipper was back entry and showed no wear after 5 years. my dui is 3yrs old and looking beat up. IMO the front zippers wears more. yes, its a small hassle to ask someone to zip you; but to me the convienence of zipping yourself isnt worth the money upfront and to replace. im going back to the back entry on my next suit.

Ever had the buddy say, "dude, you're good to go", then enter the water only to find out the zipper only looked like it was completely zipped?

I saw this happen two times, to two different people on a recent 3 day trip. For me, I prefer the peace of mind of closing the thing myself.

K

Mo2vation,

I'm curious about your avatar. One, is that you and two, how did you find yourself in that position and three, which agency teaches the flying cartwheel entry?

loosebits:
Mo2vation,

I'm curious about your avatar. One, is that you and two, how did you find yourself in that position and three, which agency teaches the flying cartwheel entry?

But these guys have cool marketing.

K

I was wondering about that avatar too? The picture had me looking for a spring board on the boat.

Has anyone had any experience with Sea Elite dry suits. The Dive Booty web site has a 5mm neoprene for $550.00 and a trilam for $850.00, both with front zips. I've got to wonder how effective a 5mm would be though, but I kind of like the idea.

Tom

Don't, don't, don't, don't get a neoprene drysuit.

Also, don't pay more than $1000 for any drysuit unless it's a DUI or Andy's or something of that caliber. You can have any Bare drysuit for less than $900. The Sea-Elite ont hat page looks like a 'giant bag' suit. If you want that you can get the entire package (drysuit, boots, underwear) for $700 or less by getting a White's Nexus or Bare Nex-Gen.

Fishy8411:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not solo-diving. As I mentioned it is hangup, more of mental comfort issue. I HAVE TO be able to get in and out of gear on my own. I won't refuse help, but it is a mental requirement of mine that help is not necessary.

Tom

I'm with you on that as well. After much research and help from this board I got the BARE XCD2 TECH DRY for ease of donning/price/quality etc. It's also VERY cool looking (it matters) althought there are many other nice one's to choose from, in that price range I found it to be the best (for me).

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=21010&pf_id=61416

jonnythan:

Also, don't pay more than $1000 for any drysuit unless it's a DUI or Andy's or something of that caliber. You can have any Bare drysuit for less than $900. The Sea-Elite ont hat page looks like a 'giant bag' suit. If you want that you can get the entire package (drysuit, boots, underwear) for $700 or less by getting a White's Nexus or Bare Nex-Gen.

Treasures await you on eBay. Drysuits are tough, they age very well (especially all the fresh water guys that grow out of them) seals are cheap, and there are never less than 50 or 100 drysuits on eBay.

Go to Andys or DUI (or everyone) and download the size charts, carefully have someone else measure you and go treasure hunting. I can't imagine paying full retail for a drysuit.

K

I dive the Zeagle Expedition GS front entry suit. This suit is does not have the telescoping torso, which I believe causes more drag (probably not significant considering a shell suit does so anyway). I have to tilt my head to the side to get in, but it works fine. It's a little clausterphobic (?) the first few times you don it, but you get used to it. With the zipper all the way open back to the left shoulder, it is hard to get it started once your wearing the suit. It takes practice and a little contorting to be able to keep the zipper straight so that it will slide. I needed help the first few times but can do it now with no problem. Make sure your suit fits properly, so don't compromise. I'm not sure about the other manuf., but the Zeagle is a great suit for doing caves or wreck penetrations because of its tough outer material.

I bought my Zeagle on eBay. The Expedition GS retails for $1700. I paid much less than a $1000 for a new one in my size. Used suits being sold out of rental fleets of the same model were selling for $1100, so yep, eBay rocks!

jonnythan:

I've used a neoprene drysuit for years and found it warmer than a shell and easier to get used to after a wetsuit (closer fit=less air pockets). I found it to be very durable (Hundreds of shore dives, hiking through the woods and climbing over barnacles). I know they're not "cool" it seems lately, and worst of all, they're cheaper (the horror!). I recently switched to a shell because it dries faster and it was a inexpensive front-entry suit ( 200$ second hand). Now I feel like part of the group and I don't have to hang my head in shame, but I cringe when it gets near those barnacles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom