Dry Suits, Self donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing a Dry Suit for diving in the Great Lakes. I haven't taken a class yet (I'll do that probably in June). But all the dry suits I've looked at so far, seem to have a shoulder to shoulder zipper in back. Does this zipper design allow the wearer to zip his/her own zip? One of my own hangups, is that I won't don a piece of gear that I can't get in or out of, on my own. Are there any dry suits out there, that permit self-donning?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom
Fishy8411

Many suits are front entry. They usually have a zipper that runs diagonally across the chest. These are more expensive because the zipper has to be signifcantly longer. Also, they usually have to have a telescoping torso becuase you need more length in the suit to get the neck seal over your head. They use the telescoping torso to take up that excess length.

Shoulder entry suits are very difficult to get in and out of by yourself. Some people do things like hook a coat hanger onto the zipper to open and close it - this probably shortens the life span of the zipper.

The TLS350 is DUI's entry level (and most popular) self donning suit. Bare makes several self donning suits as do the other major mfgrs.

Unless you're solo diving, I can't really think of a reason to absolutly rule out shoulder entry suits. The only major problem is that you have to get out of the seals to do your business where as with a self donning suit, you just undo the zipper. This is a non-issue if you have a p-valve (it will be the best investment you ever make).

Thanks for the reply. I'm not solo-diving. As I mentioned it is hangup, more of mental comfort issue. I HAVE TO be able to get in and out of gear on my own. I won't refuse help, but it is a mental requirement of mine that help is not necessary.

Tom

Fishy8411:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not solo-diving. As I mentioned it is hangup, more of mental comfort issue. I HAVE TO be able to get in and out of gear on my own. I won't refuse help, but it is a mental requirement of mine that help is not necessary.

Tom

I'm totally with you on that one. Gotta be able to manage your kit or you might as well bag it. Not just the suit, gotta be able to get into your BC, stand up and walk to the gate.

Self donning suit - I'd like to see that one day...

"OK Suit, lets get it on"

* BLINK *

"OK, I'm ready - lets dive. What, you guys aren't ready yet? c'mon, its getting hot in here... lets get wet..."

I went with a front entry zip. Just me and my not-so-self-donning-suit. I still gotta zip it up.

K

Convenience is one thing but $$$$ is the reality. Front entry can cost you $500 - $1000 more than a rear entry style. I guess it depends on how much of a hang up it is.

I purchased a CNSE from DUI and never regretted it. The money I saved was better spent on other gear. There is always someone who needs a zip and will return the favour. Not sure about replacement costs but I can only imagine how expensive the longer zipper is to replace.

my 2 cents.

Chris.

If you're paying more than $500-$1000 for a drysuit in the first place, you're doing something wrong :wink:

Getting in and out of my shoulder zip drysuit is easy (I often solo dive). All you need is a loop of strong cord with a brass clip on it. Simply wrap the cord around a nearby post or pole and then clip it to your zip (ie you have your back to the pole). Now hold your arms out (crucifix style) and simply move your body so it slides the zip.

This method works so well that I find it easier to do it this way than to ask someone else to do it for me. I haven't had any problems with undergarments getting stuck in the zip. I keep my "automatic dry suit zipper device" clipped to a D-ring in my BC so i always have it with me.

BD

Front zip = self-donning = preferable performance.
Rear zip = buddy required = acceptable performance.

Front zips tend to fail due to repeated stress of folding/twisting.
Rear zips tend to fail due to repeated stress of catching undies.

Front zip = more money.
Rear zip = well, less money.

Front zip = *****in' cool look.
Rear zip = :54:

In either case, ain't no big thing. This won't get you kicked out of DIRF.

my 2c. my front zip dui is not any easier to get in and out of. the zipper is long and can get stuck up on my shoulder. granted i can always zip it myself, but sometime with difficulty. my last suit the zipper was back entry and showed no wear after 5 years. my dui is 3yrs old and looking beat up. IMO the front zippers wears more. yes, its a small hassle to ask someone to zip you; but to me the convienence of zipping yourself isnt worth the money upfront and to replace. im going back to the back entry on my next suit.

Back
Top Bottom