Dry Suits and Weight Belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What weight system do people use with dry suits.

I am currently using a weight harness but whilst it carry's the weight well (24 lb) its a pain under my harness. I thought about spreading the weight to some back mounted, some on my harness via pockets, but there is not much real estate for belt pockets. Do people use weight belts on a dry suit, or if not what do you find best? Does a weight belt tend to trap air below the waist and thus cause buoyancy problems?

I use a rubber weight belt. I've not had any problems with air trapping.
Same here, I use a rubber weight belt from Mako, and no issues with air movement. Same weight belt works equally well with 7mm wetsuit or Fusion drysuit, and same amount of weight.

Rubber weight belt for me.
Also....I have cam band weight pockets (4 ea.) installed on my singles rig.

On doubles I can use a v-weight.

Either way, my maximum amount of weight on the belt is 12 lbs (two 6 lb. weights, positioned toward the front of the hips)., depending on which undergarment I'm using.

Ok thanks guys, I think I will try a V weight and weight belt as its less cumbersome and gives me a better balance.

I solved some of the weight belt issue buying a 5.1kg plate and a Halcyon weighted STA. I carry 4gs on standard webbing belt, it's the limit of my back and space.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 01:56 AM ----------

It was an expensive way though.

If you are unable to find or make your own hard v-weight; halcyon make a soft one out of cordura nylon......Dive Seekers sells them for around $35. You fill them with your own lead. Either soft shot bags or smaller lead pieces, to fill it up to the weight you want.

Same here, I use a rubber weight belt from Mako, and no issues with air movement. Same weight belt works equally well with 7mm wetsuit or Fusion drysuit, and same amount of weight.

Thanks! We are gradually seeing more and more "enlightened" scuba divers come to the same conclusion that freedivers reached 25 year ago: Namely that an elasttic rubber belt solves many problems and is comfortable and does not slide around.

Here's a link for our belt, if the OP is interested.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

[video=youtube;XwA8DL6-Ya0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwA8DL6-Ya0[/video]

MFDWB-2.jpg

The rubber belt above is what I use. I have individual pockets on mine held in place by oversize lexan slides I cut on the water jet. Standard metal slides will not fit the rubber belt. It also depends on what rig I am diving and what tanks I'm using. Yesterday I had 4 lbs bolted to my Steel plate plate, lp 95, and 4 lbs on the belt. Sometimes I don't use the weight plates but may need an extra couple pounds on the rig. For that I have weight pockets on the cam bands.

For years I used a traditional nylon belt with two 10lb weights and a mix of smaller weights. I lost a lot of weight a few years back and the 10lb weights started bruising my hips badly, so I switched to a pouch style belt with soft weights over my hip bones and hard in the other pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom