Dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've recently started thinking about a "tropical" drysuit like the DUI 30/30 and it got me to thinking that I can definitely make one for less than the DUI. Buying polyurethane laminate material or even a gortex material isn't especially expensive (Maybe $100 for enough material to make a suit if I find a good price) and the other components would run me another $400 ish.

The suit would have ankle seals similar to the wrist seals normally worn, rather than "socks", more like a kayaking suit with valves installed but custom fit.

If you were undertaking such a project what features would you want?

Anyone have any experience putting on new seals from scratch? In theory I know how to do this but haven't done it and only seen one or two threads here about it.

the problem is getting the right trilaminate material and making the seams durable and watertight.
Wrist seals $35
Neck Seal $45
Ankle Seals $35
Inflation Valve $80
Exhaust Valve $90
Zipper $110
Finishing Tape $20
Glue $25

So you're about $450 before you buy any fabric, finding a truly airtight laminate that is durable is tough. Goretex won't last, that's why these breathable suits have a relatively short lifespan. You also have to add the heavier duty panels for abrasion resistance, suspenders, etc etc. You can DIY it, but you're going to spend about $800 minimum on materials before you start. For real durability you need to be sewing and sealing the seams.

USIA AquaSport is about $900 custom cut, and you can request it with ankle seals. Money better spent there...

tbone, I understand I won't actually be saving much money, though my numbers come out a couple hundred cheaper than yours. I can buy polyurethane laminate (basically a bilaminate instead of trilaminate) for $10 per yard. I need about 3 1/2 yards for a suit, give or take a half yard. I can get a trilaminate gortex (Like the DUI 30/30) for $15-$25 per yard.

I also have the option of scavenging parts from another old suit I bought for $100 if it doesn't work out otherwise.

For the seams, I'd definitely fold, sew, then seal (like the pros do it). I have no concern over whether or not I can do that as I have quite a bit of experience making other garments from similar materials. No point in doing a poor job and leaving the seams easily impregnable, especially when it would be essentially the same cost as some new suits.

I have no experience with them but all the gortex suits I'm aware of have the same lifespan as any other suit, from the anecdotal evidence I've read. Do you have information otherwise from people who own them?

as an engineer that has helped design the material, it doesn't last as long. Goretex is a semi-permeable membrane, but to do that, the same butyl rubber can't be used because it is now no longer "breathable". If you already have inflate/dump valve, and have experience cutting and sewing that type of material, there is nothing special about it. You can get seal tape and all of the glue from DRiS pretty cheap.

There is a certain cachet in pulling off a DIY project even if the financials aren't a dramatic incentive.

I do wonder how unique the internal sealant used is? Is it just aqua seal or a secret sauce?

Just keep in mind. DIY project like this, the goal should not be saving money. Since you don't know the in and outs of making a dry suit, The amount of efforts, tools, debugging, trial after trial with a leaky suit until the final version if that ever happen .... Will make the money saved, if any at all, not worth it. You should do it if you are interested in the process of making the suit. It is more about the learning experience then saving money.

agreed, eelnoraa. I don't expect to save any real money. Hell, assuming the laminate of the used suit I just bought is in decent shape, I can put new seals on it for less than $200, meaning a functional suit for <$300 total. Hard to beat that.

As I indicated, this is more about learning and then getting a custom suit that truly fits me rather than "close enough" from an off the rack suit. Yes, I know I can buy suits custom, I just haven't really felt the need before and I like projects like this.

So, other than some thigh pocket(s) what would be your dream features in a "tropical" dry suit?

Right now here's the feature list:

1) Silicone seals. Quick replacement seal at least on the neck, possibly wrists as well. Ankles will be "standard" since any kind of ring would be too bulky at my ankles/calves.
2) At least one thigh pocket
3) Considering a chest pocket as well, but not committed to it. Perhaps just an internal chest pocket.
4) "streamlined" cut

This is like me building my first ram air parachute... We called it the "white thing" ... One of the best jumps I ever had was "The first jump on a parachute designed and built all on my own"... It was worth every penny and hour of cutting and sewing... Good luck

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom