Dry Suit Zipper Wax Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...zipper replacement (cost was $420)...
It used to be that the zipper accounted for more than half the price of a drysuit - they were literally space suit zippers. Prices of zippers have gone down a bit since then, I see the critters selling for $145 for a few different lengths.
The #1 thing to remember about zippers is that they need to be kept CLEAN.
We'd rinse the zipper off after the dive before even getting out of the suit. That was in the Mississippi River though.:wink:
I'm very fond of beeswax; it got applied daily only to the outside if the teeth. A couple of cycles on the zip knocks off the excess, and every few days I'd do a cleaning with a soft toothbrush.
Some of the best zipper lube (overall) is the McNett Zip Care, a liquid with a brush applicator.
Their stick "Zip Tech" is good for the outside of the teeth.
As mentioned, loose threads will occur after a while but the best way to deal with them is to singe them off with a lighter. It slows down further unraveling a bit.

just use Ivory bar soap...it lubes the zip, doesn't trap crud, and dissolves during the dive.

And it's cheap and readily available just about anywhere...

The best lube I've found is parafin wax. It is available at most grocery stores for around $4 for a box that will last a lifetime. It lasts all day. The problem with using soap that disolves during the dive is that the suit may be difficult to get out of post dive.

I see a few new ideas for the dry zip. Not sure what brand that Bare uses on there new zippers but mine came lubed with a cream. I say this because I found a small spot at the bottom of the zipper.
I have used the "crayon" on my semi-dry zipper and it help very little if any at all.

Gaschef, if you can do a one fingered zip I have got to try that stuff. But of course I don't have a good dive shop so I guess the search is one.

Wow!
Thanks guys! I didn't realize that my little ole' question would generate such an intriguing dialogue. I do appreciate it though. I have some good ideas out of this. It appears that there are some differing opinions on the use of waxes. Okay. I can accept ambiguity on this subject.

Gaschef, thanks for mentioning the prohibition on silicones. I was aware of it, I just didn't mention it. Good point.

Gaschef,

Where did you get the Zip Slip? I found the web site (http://www.criticalcleaning.com/ZipSlip.html), but looks like they only sell it by the case. I don't mind paying $5 bucks for one, but $66 to get several life times (a dozen) is a bit high. Granted I could sell them at $10 a unit to my friends and make back the money.

Of course a few of them read this forum, so maybe not.

That stuff is no good to use on a drysuit, it's silicone grease and from the sound of it is similiar to the dilectric grease I use in repairing some electronic equipment.

Do not use this stuff, I suspect the stuff you saw mentioned earlier is maybe a similar name, or the same, but it's a different product.

To NW Grateful Diver

First try cleaning your dry suit zip properly, to get that amount of wear in 260 operations of the Zip something is seriously wrong with your suit or your technique

Secondly, you are being ripped off something rotten by your repair man. In the UK a zip replacement will cost about 160 pounds sterling (about 250 USD) that includes removal and replacement and pressure tests. It is nice to know that some things are cheaper in the UK. Retail price for a Heavy Duty dry suit zip shoulder entry is 105 pounds sterling. IF you need any let me know

Sounds like both you and your repair man need some instruction in the use of dry suits, if you need to ask I am available

Regards

Gaschef

Back
Top Bottom