Dry suit vs wet suit for Montreal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done any diving in the St Lawrence, but I've done a lot of diving immediately south of you... Lake George, Lake Champlain, Dutch Springs, Hudson River, etc... and the answer is "yes." :)

I was in the St. Lawrence last weekend in the 1000 Islands area. The water temp at depth was 71F. I was using a 5/4mil jumpsuit with a hood and was fine. Other divers in my group were wearing shorties or 3mil suits. In the beginning of July it was 65F at depth and I was roasting in my neoprene drysuit.

There are a few people in my club who always where their drysuits no matter what the water temp. They tend to have the shell style suits so the can where whatever they want under it and not worry about being too cold or too warm.

A jumpsuit wetsuit with a hooded sleeveless shorty over top might be a good combo. When the water starts to heat up, you could ditch the shorty and just use the jumpsuit.

The St. Lawrence tends to heat up fast due to it being a moving waterbody. The lakes will remain colder at depth with thermoclines along the way. So you really have to look at where you'll be diving, what times of year you'll be diving and whether you feel the cold easily. I'm slender so I lack natural insulation and feel the cold. I usually wear a thicker suit than everyone else.

Diverlady

Go with the dry, I don't dive whit a wet no more since I have my dry(Bare xcd2).I am diving in the Eastern township with "les Diables des Mers" :wink:

All my friends who live in the Montreal area dive dry.

It just makes more sense, IMHO.

~SubMariner~

Dry is the better choice if you plan to stay in divng for a while. Even though the initial cost is higher, by the time you buy a couple of wetsuits for the different conditions - the cost will be close.
My friend did dry in Brockville/Tobermory/Lake Ontario with no probs. Brockville seems a bit cooler than in past years. I still waffle between wet and dry.

Shell suits have no insulation value and dry quickly. Bare makes a few that are not too pricey... and made in Canada. DUI if you want to go all out!

If you only want to dive the St. Lawrence (Thousand Islands) between June and Sept., a 7 mm wetsuit will suffice.

If you want to dive Oct- May, or go to the Kingston/Picton area, Tobermory, Les Escoumins or the Martimes, better buy a dry suit.

I own both, so I alternate between the sites that I visit. But I could dive no problem in the 72 F Thousand Island region if I had to... I prefer being too warm than too cold.

I"m a DM from montreal and just recently(it should be coming in this week) bought my drysuit. Depending on the number of diving you plan to do per year you can go for a dry. I<ve been diving with a wet and its doable (but very cold).In brockville(1000 Islands) a dry is really not necessary at all. If you go down to tobermorry, escoumins or quaries such as Flintkote and Morisson bottom temps at 100feet is usally 40 to 50. Wich means after 10 min you a** is frozen.

If you have the money go for the dry and maybe pick-up a used wet for 1000 islands and other places.

If you are interested in buying a Bare drysuit PM me I'll set you up eith my LDS we generally have good prices and can fix your c-card for your dry in the price.

Best of luck

PDIC DM51089

PS hope you were not counting on diving in the ST-Laurence in MOntreal city because... well lets just say dont go there

jroy017 once bubbled...

PS hope you were not counting on diving in the ST-Laurence in MOntreal city because... well lets just say dont go there

I dove off Charron Island last week, viz was crap (5 feet), but the water was 3 degrees warmer than Brockville. Just nice to be in the water on such a humid day.

Ok I learn every day.

Kaos, I kthought there's ( or thats what I was told) an interdiction to dive in any of the wterways near the port of Montreal. So i was referring to there plus the fact that I'm a microbiologist and lets just say that the water near Mtl port isn<t exactly peachy but I,V never heard of any interesting dive sites near Montreal ( less than 1/2h hour away) unless you count diving in two Mountain Lake just to go diving.

Ile charron, thats near 25 did you go see the tunnel? :)

If there are any sites can you name them or give indications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom