Dry suit type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to buy my first dry suit and can't make a decision on crushed neoprene or trilaminate material. I dive from Point Conception to Los Angles and out to the outer islands. Sometimes I like to hunt lobster but am just as likely to be a buddy to a photographer. I going to change from wet to dry for two reasons. One I am always cold, and the other is I would like to go on a multi-day dive and can not imagine the level of frozen I would experience.

If I were you, I'd go with the trilaminate. It's lighter and faster drying.

Personally I'd dive with a wet suit. The water's not cold where you dive, but I suppose it's a matter of perspective (it's not the North Atlantic). :)

Rich:

You have come to the right spot for a lot of good informed tips from folks who are active divers.

If you are considering a neoprene drysuit you can see our newest drysuit @:
Apollo Sports: Product Catalog

Whatever you decide, enjoy your diving.

TroupH2O: I dive a DUI crushed neoprene CF200 (with zip seals and rock boots) and I love it. I have tried a lot of suits and I believe DUI to be the best. They are expensive, but if you are in the mood to spoil yourself.....Comments about the crushed neoprene—Positive: They are the most durable of all the suits and they stretch with you when you are in the water so that you can have a more streamlined fitting suit and it also helps you feel more like you have a wetsuit on and gives you a better “one with the water” kind of feeling. It also adds “a little” insulation to you in and of itself. Also, once dried, they can be repaired (if torn) with wetsuit glue. Negative: They are heavy and get heavier when wet. Second, you will add three pounds more to your weight belt than with the trilaminate TLS 350 model. Also, if you travel to exotic tropical destinations then the trilaminate suit can be used, where the crushed neoprene cannot and will not dry in time to stuff in your luggage. On the Negative Side for trilaminate, I have seen the trilaminte tear on barnacles and such where I know the crushed neoprene would not. I also spearfish, and I am worried that a Cod Quill will poke through the trilaminate, etc. Also, the trilaminte (because it does not stretch) tends to fit baggy—so that you can move in it—and is sometimes referred to as the “trash bag” fit. DUI also makes a CLX450 Cordura drysuit. It is somewhere in between the crushed neoprene and trilaminate. Of course, DUI also make combo suits that use CF200 crushed neoprene for the legs (helping out with the beach dive entries durability issues) and TLS 350 for the upper body.

In the end, everyone has their favorite and all of DUI’s choices are excellent. I don’t feel there is any bad way to go. So good luck and have fun.

The trilam suits are more comfortable on land, lighter, dries faster and is easier to manage out of the water.
As far as in the water I dont really notice much difference in comfort and the neoprene suits are warmer, and if they get a leak theill be warmer than a leaky shell suit.

I do a lot of beach diving. Need to look at wha type of beach diving you are doing. One poster is at OML pretty much each week and that is lots of big rocks and a tough entry. Other sites are not so bad. Neoprean is durable. Tri-lam is fast drying and if you get the DUI TLS 450 the cordura covering is rugged.

Once you go dry......PS get plumbing in it too. It sucks to cut your dive short because you have to pee.

I have the DUI TLS350 which is a trilam. I LOVE this drysuit. I treat my drysuit well and have had no problems with the drysuit. I primarily beach dive, and the suit has been awesome. It's also cheaper than the DUI crushed neo suits. I would say that it is the single piece of equipment that has most dramatically changed my diving enjoyment.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. It is nice waking the day after Thanksgiving and reading all the posts. This is a very passionate topic and I'm having a hard time making a decision. But it is very good to hear all the opinions before I enter the dive store.:D

I've had my DUI CF200 for 5ys now with zero issues. I've used it on beach and boat dives. I like that its durable, stretches and offers a bit of insulation. The weight and drying issues really don't bother me.

Back
Top Bottom