Dry suit/thermo unders/manfc. undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it common practice in YOUR area were dry suits are worn (chilly to cold waters), to in addition of the dry suit and proper undergarment, still add or wear some type of thermo unders beneath your Manfc. undergarment.....or do you just slip on a t-shirt and briefs. Your comments will help settle a dispute. Thanks

I ALWAYS wear a thin or medium layer of capilene pants/short under my "official" drysuit undergarments:

1. I don't like the feel of the DS undergarment against my skin
  2. It keeps the DS undergarment a little less funky
  3. I can vary the thickness of the capilene based on water temps cheaper than having multiple DS undergarments
  4. T-shirt and briefs won't wick sweat away (cotton anyway) so will make you wet/cold

Not universal, but pretty common approach here in NJ from what I see on our boat.

PS - I also wear compression/sport shorts instead of BVDs. Helps keep everything where it belongs.

I wear polypro underwear beneath my drysuit undergarment for the same reasons as RJP.

This is pretty standard for SoCal divers to do, although some folks do wear just a t-shirt/shorts underneath in the summer. Those people tend to have to wash their drysuit undergarment more often.

Just curious. What was the point of contention?

Just curious. What was the point of contention?

Best material(s) for comfort.....you fellows are adding some great replies!

My DS manufacturer (High Tide) has a whole portion of the owner's manual dedicated to keeping divers from wearing cotton in their suits.

I haven't seen anyone around here wearing cotton under their DS. (But then again, I don't go around checking divers' -or others' - undies.)

depnds on the water. If its average 60+ Ill wear a T-shirt and Light long sleeve wicking type shirt then my Fourth element arctic. If it's colder I will wear a layer of under Armor or Fourth Element XT250/Arctic still with Tshirt/Long Sleeve T

I wear a neoprene drysuit when our local waters are in the 48°-60° range. Always wear Patagonia Capilene expedition weight bottoms and one or two (depending on how warm it is outside) polypro longsleeve tops. Works pretty well. The undergarments are usually wet with perspiration by the end of the day but when I take them off, I dry almost instantly, frequently not even needing a towel.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Decided on long sleeve and long pant #3 capilene, 'black' of course! Took care of that argument.

Back
Top Bottom