Dry suit socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4th element artic socks.. I believe they're $20 and they're awesome. No cold feet all the way down to 37F. I guess if I ever did get cold I'd wear a pair of wool skiing socks under them but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

DUI will give you a free 100 gram stretchliner ($148) if you're a padi dive society member and purchased a DUI drysuit new in 2009. Directions on what you need to do are on their site. I just mailed for mine today we'll see how long it takes. Well worth the $29 dive society membership IMO.

Redhead 'Lifetime' Hunting socks from Outdoor World.
88% Merino wool, fantastic arch suspension, and free replacement anytime you wear them out!

Wool socks have worked for me. I picked up a few pairs from KMart. The thermal kind. I also use nylon socks under them to keep my feet from getting itchy from the wool. My only problem is that the socks are not sold for women so they are pretty big on my feet as I could only find mens socks.

But my feet stayed toasty warm at 50 degrees this past weekend.

Thorlos rock, they make womens sizes but you have to buy them where they respect their customers not like Kmart.

The wife and I just ordered our new drysuits (we ended up going with DUI TLS350se suits).

When shopping for undergarments, the lady at our shop said "you can buy these $90 DUI bootie things, but I don't want to sell them to you because that is outrageous for what they are... you can do just as well with stuff a LOT cheaper. We ended up getting some Pinnacle Evolution undergarments, but nothing for the feet as of yet.

What are good, inexpensive alternatives to those outrageously priced booties? We already have multiple pairs of good quality wool hiking socks and was planning on using those for starters.

What's your water temperatures like?

What works for me (in the same suit, BTW) in summer ... when water temps here reach the mid-50's ... is JB Field's Icelandic hiking socks (70% merino wool, 30% nylon) with a fleece sock pulled over the top. Winter time ... when water temps get down into the low 40's ... I replace the fleece sock with Weezle booties.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use Costco winter socks. I think they combine wool, thinsolite or some such, cotton, and magic! :D For about $3 a pair, they work great. My feet don't get cold. I've done 35' water, and I was NOT warm (not really cold, but hardly toasty), but my feet were fine.

Ironically my feet don't get cold diving, skiing is another story. I have some high end skiing socks, but don't wear those diving.

REI Wool Backpacking socks with 4-5% Spandex content to hold them in place.

Also- Check the DUI website for specials with SSI/PADI.
You may have to dig deep - its there.

If you take a drysuit class within 90 days, DUI will give you a free pair of under garments or something like that...

Many diveshops include a class with the drysuit too.

Already took the class (took it before we decided to buy the suits) and they "made it right" on the suits (can't go into details, but it is all good).

I go with one pair of these on top of one pair of these from Acorn. You could go with two of either of them I suppose. Perfectly toasty, and much cheaper than the DUI.

I wear a pair of Polypro hiking socks, with a pair of soft, wooly Polarfleece socks over it. I've found two things really make a huge difference to how warm my feet are: First is being warm all over (in other words, good, heavy undergarment) and the other is not lacing boots tightly or stuffing too much insulation into the boots so it gets overly compressed. Less insulation and more gas in the feet meant warmer toes for me.

What are good, inexpensive alternatives to those outrageously priced booties? We already have multiple pairs of good quality wool hiking socks and was planning on using those for starters.

I think you'll find your wool socks will work fine provided they are soft, fairly thick and not constricting.

Based on recommendations from posters on ScubaBoard, I looked for socks with a high content of Merino wool and am very glad I did!

For over a year, I've been using Fox River Trailhead Socks, Style #2097, with 77% Merino Wool, 22% Stretch Nylon, and 1% Spandex. They have a higher percentage of Merino wool than most socks. Merino wool has superfine fibers, which makes it warmer and softer. They typically sell for about $15 a pair, but I bought a pack of 6 pairs of Fox River's "Not Quite Perfect" second quality #2097's for $39, including shipping. I just checked and, unfortunately, there aren't any on eBay right now.

Fox River Mill's Style #2097:

Fox River Socks - Online Store - Outdoor Socks, Trekking Socks, 2097 TRAILHEAD

These softs are very soft, thick, stretchy, and warm. I wear two pairs with loose-fitting boots (Rockboots) and have very warm feet for well over an hour down to the mid-30F degree water.

I highly recommend Merino wool, so try your hiking socks, as they probably have a high Merino wool content. If your socks and boots aren't constricting, you'll probably be very happy! :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom