Dry suit socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I just ordered our new drysuits (we ended up going with DUI TLS350se suits).

When shopping for undergarments, the lady at our shop said "you can buy these $90 DUI bootie things, but I don't want to sell them to you because that is outrageous for what they are... you can do just as well with stuff a LOT cheaper. We ended up getting some Pinnacle Evolution undergarments, but nothing for the feet as of yet.

What are good, inexpensive alternatives to those outrageously priced booties? We already have multiple pairs of good quality wool hiking socks and was planning on using those for starters.

I typically use 3mm neoprene socks as my drysuit booties are neoprene. They keep my feet warm & aren't super bulky. The only minus is they don't let your feet breathe well or wick away the sweat very well. I usually have to change them between dives to a dry pair to have warm feet on multiple dives. I also have a pair of fuzzy socks, but I'm not crazy about the bulk. But,... to each their own.

Wool socks have worked for me. I picked up a few pairs from KMart. The thermal kind. I also use nylon socks under them to keep my feet from getting itchy from the wool. My only problem is that the socks are not sold for women so they are pretty big on my feet as I could only find mens socks.

But my feet stayed toasty warm at 50 degrees this past weekend.

I use a base of Thorlo's thickest wool blend socks, followed up with the 400g DUI booties. Left my booties at home once, and even with two pairs of socks my feet froze. Never again! The booties are worth it, but they can also be had for less than $90. Other brands of booties would probably work too.

REI Wool Backpacking socks with 4-5% Spandex content to hold them in place.

Also- Check the DUI website for specials with SSI/PADI.
You may have to dig deep - its there.

If you take a drysuit class within 90 days, DUI will give you a free pair of under garments or something like that...

Many diveshops include a class with the drysuit too.

I've been wearing wool socks w/ polypro liners for years now.....nice toasty toes.

Wool is the only natural fiber that keeps its warmth capabilities when wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom