Dry suit sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhyno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently decided to pick up a dry suit and have what I thought was an average small statured guy. If sizing charts are to be believed I have more in common with a giraffe.

One thing I've noticed is that, by height I should usually be selecting a medium suit. By other measurements I should be in a small, if not extra small. Is there something I'm missing in regards to how I should be sizing myself?

For comparison, I’m 5’10” around 150 lbs.
Some quick measurements are Chest: 36, Waist: 31, Hips: 37, Inseam: 32, Torso: 27. (torso number is vertical height from shoulder to hip: This wildly varies depending on how manufacturer wants the measurement.)

Due to cost constraints I'm sticking to used for the time being. I don't mind throwing in a new set of seals as long as the suit fits well. The problem is that given these measurements I'm not sure what I should focus on. I've found plenty for sale in my region, however I don't want to drive an hour to find it doesn't fit because I had a misconception around how they *should* fit.
Height is likely a much larger issue in a drysuit as opposed to a wet suit given their lack of stretch. Should I focus on fitting height and ignore that I'm small for the other dimensions?

Last edited:
height is your #1 concern because it can't be altered. Chest is #2, and Waist #3. Inseam length can be fixed quite easily, but taking the other measurements in can be problematic. What are cost restraints? A custom cut HOG Predator can be had for around $1500 which isn't bad at all.

Thanks for the reply. Considering waist is generally where I'm vastly undersized that makes me feel a little more comfortable. Knowing that dry suits are supposed to hang a little, how big is too big? If something fits well height wise, will an extra 2 inches on the chest be too much?

I was trying to keep it around the $500 mark if at all possible. Used it seems to be a relatively modest goal. If it were much more than that I'd probably wait it out and keep using my 7mm until next year. I've gone through a lot of gear replacement this year and I'm hitting my comfort level for max expenditure for a part-time hobby.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2014 at 04:35 PM ----------

While on the surface this seems like a really odd question; Outside of avoiding girly colors, is there any reason I shouldn't consider a womens suit? Looking at some manufacturers size charts I seem to fit much better there.

womens suits are usually bigger in the hips and thighs due to lady curves. You may want to just hold onto the 7mm until next year if you can swing a new suit. An ill fitting drysuit is a big problem. The other issue you'll find is that suits are not all cut the same, "cave cut" suits fit very snug due to light undergarments in the 70* water, cold water drysuits are a lot looser due to the undergarments. You'll see this in the legs and arms the most, but the torso area gets a good bit of extra material. Depending on your dive profiles, you may not see the benefit of drysuits. A 7mm will be warmer for the first dive than most drysuits, but it's the 2nd and 3rd dives where they come in handy or on windy days when you avoid the evaporative cooling effect.

Height is the one measurement not changed by the suits cut, so that's why it is #1 priority. The rest of the measurements are going to be what they are depending on each individual suit. At my size, they all assume you have a beer gut, so I have to have my suits custom made for me. 54" chest, 38" waist. Not fun. You can get a better idea of the sizing of hte suits if you ask the guys to lay the suit out flat and measure straight across the nipple line and the waist line and that will give you at least an idea of how far off you want them. You need at least 3 or 4" more than your actual measured sizes for a properly fitting drysuit.

Also weigh pros and cons of back vs. front zip. I won't ever by a back zip because they can't be donned by you and only you.

Whites fusions come up used a lot and tend to be more forgiving in the sizing department because of the double shell design, so that should be high on your list. May be $600-$700, but they fit more like a wetsuit.

That 2nd dive shock is what got me curious about the dry suit. The flexibility is what's making me seriously consider it.
If I can get a good suit for $700 I'd be comfortable with that. Just trying to avoid the +1k new suit hit.

My original thought was looking for a looser suit purely to allow for a fair amount of insulation in cooler environments. As you said, it may be best to wait it out. I really do appreciate the info. Especially the front vs back zip. While I always do have a dive buddy, I do tend to dress myself :)

the 2nd dive is a bit of a bear, but not sure how often you dive in the winter, and what your diving habits are like, but you don't want it too loose because when it vacuums itself shut in the creases they are a. uncomfortable, and b. really irritating. there's a nice happy balance and unfortunately most divers first drysuits are too big and cause huge amounts of problems for them because they are ill fitting

One thing I've noticed is that, by height I should usually be selecting a medium suit. By other measurements I should be in a small, if not extra small. Is there something I'm missing in regards to how I should be sizing myself?

For comparison, I’m 5’10” around 150 lbs.
Some quick measurements are Chest: 36, Waist: 31, Hips: 37, Inseam: 32, Torso: 27. (torso number is vertical height from shoulder to hip: This wildly varies depending on how manufacturer wants the measurement.)

You are definitely not extra small. After that, it also depends on what undergarment are you using. I am 5'6", 135-140lb depends on the days, chest is also 36, jean size 29 waist. Men's small fit me perfectly length wise. With 200g thinsulate, the width seems to be a well fit too. With thicker undgermarnt, (400g), I can fit into Men's small but feeling tight in shoulder area. It it is the only suit available, I can still dive it. No way I will fit an extra small even I am naked inside

You are 5'10 150lb, I think you are looking at Men's medium.

One of our local shops recently sold Fusion back zip suits within the higher end of your budget. Fusions are lovely, because they basically obviate the necessity for precise fit. Buy one that fits your height, and everything else will sort itself out.

After going through a good deal of sizing charts and an evening with the measuring tape I do seem to generally be on the line between small and medium, depending on manufacturer. Most manufacturers overlap a small amount between sizes. If I, on paper, fit in both a small and medium, would it be better to go for the small or the medium?

In the small I'd avoid the bunching mentioned earlier, but that also may provide some limits to movement.
On the other hand, the medium would allow me to fit a bit more insulation in cooler water.

I can't see myself doing a great deal of winter diving, but cooler water is where I think it'll get a greater deal of use, considering the other wet suits I have at my disposal. Right now my local lake temp is low 50's at around 80 ft. It's only going to get cooler from today to season's end. I'd expect that the dry suit would extend my season by about a month.

try it on with the thickest undergarmen you intend to wear. no way around trying it on especially if buying used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom