Which type of seal do you recommend?

• Latex Seals

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Neoprene Seals

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No poll option for this......

I dive with latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal. Haven't had any leaks in over 10 years with two different dry suits.

I have dinky wrists so the latex seals quite well on my wrists. & the neoprene neck seal is nice and warm and seems easier to don and doff as compared to what I watch my buddies go through.

The only con I've heard regarding neoprene neck seals is that the seal is tough to maintain if a person has a very large head and skinny neck.

Paula

My old suit had neoprene seals and the new one has latex.
I prefer the latex seals as they are more comfortable and drier than the neoprene.

I just got a neoprene neck seal. Verdict is still out. It is certainly a lot warmer. I'm told that it is more durable which was why I went that way. I occasionally will get some water down the neck if my seal hasn't been turned down correctly or I move my neck in an odd way.

I found that I had to replace my neck seals about twice a year since I dive so much. I'm hoping that the neo neck seal will last much longer.

Just to add this: I dive a DUI front entry Trilaminate suit, with what is called the warm neck style.
instead of wearing a drysuit hood I wear a wet suit hood but the edges of the hood can be tucked into the collar area. this keeps the hood flush with the body and not flapping around, affords me the warmth of neoprene around the neck area but still affords me the use of the latex seals.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for discussion

RIDIVER501:
Just to add this: I dive a DUI front entry Trilaminate suit, with what is called the warm neck style.
instead of wearing a drysuit hood I wear a wet suit hood but the edges of the hood can be tucked into the collar area. this keeps the hood flush with the body and not flapping around, affords me the warmth of neoprene around the neck area but still affords me the use of the latex seals.

Love mine. Excellent design. I only dive in water in the high 40's to low 60's and never had a cold neck.

On a side note - Few things are funnier than seeing someone diving a DUI suit who hasn't gotten the idea of how this works, or has forgotten to tuck it in. Or is diving a non-DUI suit with a "normal" hood...

These fashion emergencies hit the water looking all Beefeater/Sir Walter Raleigh/D’Artagnan with that cowel flapping in the breeze like some neck tutu - its always a crowd pleaser...

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Love mine. Excellent design. I only dive in water in the high 40's to low 60's and never had a cold neck.

On a side note - Few things are funnier than seeing someone diving a DUI suit who hasn't gotten the idea of how this works, or has forgotten to tuck it in. Or is diving a non-DUI suit with a "normal" hood...
---
Ken

I have had mine down to 28 degrees and head and neck were fine.

tucking it in the right way does definintely help.

RIDIVER501:
I have had mine down to 28 degrees and head and neck were fine.

tucking it in the right way does definintely help.

Do you tuck or do you spin while you avail the services of a tuck buddy?

Gotta tuck yo' self...

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Do you tuck or do you spin while you avail the services of a tuck buddy?

Gotta tuck yo' self...

---
Ken
I am a do it yourselfer. I found that it is easier to do if you put the hood on before the weightbelt. once the weightbelt is on quality flexibility room is lost.

RIDIVER501:

I dive with a Whites Nexus drysuit that has the same feature. It definitely makes a difference when you properly tuck the hood in.

On the latex vs. neoprene topic, I've used both and I found that latex seals keep me dryer and they're much easier to put on. No folding, no ripping out hair.

I've had both Light and HD Neoprene, Light and HD Latex.
In my opinion, for comfort & seal integrity Latex is by far the way to go.
The HD Latex is usually only a few bucks more, has the Don / Doff ease of Latex & still retains the wear-ability & comfort of lighter Latex while similar durability warmth of the lighter Neo ...and keeps me far dryer (no bothersome trickle leaks & fold unders).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom