• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dry suit recommendatiom Ireland

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by AlphaDuff, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Gareth J

Gareth J Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If it wasn't for the C-19, then your best bet would have been to go to one of the dive shows. I am not sure that you would 'get a bargain' , but most of the manufactures would have had a presence. It is one of the few occasions that you can look at all the various suits in one place and try a number of different suits for fit.

I think all the good suppliers have been mentioned above.

2. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    They do make a both types of suits

90Ninety | OThree Custom Drysuits

They can make their neoprene suit in front entry too, you just have to ask them.

AlphaDuff likes this.
  3. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Grossly overpriced.

AlphaDuff and grantctobin like this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Same with DUI. To be fair they are good quality but you’re definitely paying for the name.

5. Gareth J

Gareth J Contributor

Have DUI fixed their quality problems?

I had three DUI suits, one after the other, two membrane, and then a crushed neoprene. Loved them all.
    However, a few years after I got my crushed neoprene, all the people I knew who bought DUI had terrible problems with them. I could have forgiven that, if they had put them right, but DUI kicked and screamed when asked to fix even the simplest fault.
    Unfortunately very American, only interested in the bottom line and screw the reputation. That period really trashed their reputation for a lot of people (including the distributers). One of the reasons I probably wouldn't buy a Santi.

My current suit was a temporary suit. I couldn't bring myself to pay DUI for a suit that they wouldn't stand behind. So I bought my current suit whilst I considered what to do next. It's going on 6 years old.
    I will probably by a O3 next, possibly an Otter. I have been very impressed by all the O3's I've seen, and they past. Also, there customer service is excellent. (As is Otter).
    I do have to say Hammond are very good, being a family business they have excellent customer focus.

Gareth

6. Wathdoc

Wathdoc Contributor

What Dry Unless Immersed?

Wibble likes this.
  7. Wathdoc

Wathdoc Contributor

I have had several Otters suits over the years (had northern diver neoprene before). They are excellent, very well made and designed, with superb after sales service. Very good for environments with wear involved.

8. rduquesnoy

rduquesnoy Registered

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    They are really costly yes but my Santi was custom made (to a certain extend), no extra costs. Same for my BZ400 undergarments. I have been really happy with the suit so far and after well over a 100 dives haven't experienced any leaks or other problems.

With the given budget however I think Santi is not an option. I had a compressed neoprene suit before the Santi and I personally would not go back to that. The suit really limited movement and now I am more flexible with my undergarments in various temperatures / seasons.

9. mac64

mac64 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    460B0AC7-B856-444C-BBC9-75752A43D2FA.jpeg I’ve used northern diver compressed neoprene, Otter bag and Viking neoprene but love my O’three MTM

AlphaDuff and BurhanMuntasser like this.
  10. Gareth J

Gareth J Contributor

@rduquesnoy

Was your crushed neoprene a custom made suit?

I do admit that my crushed neoprene 'shrunken' over the years, and I did lose some range of movements. The same did happen with my older DUI membrane.
    It has been my experience, that drysuits suffer from shrinkage which becomes more pronounced as the years pass.

One of the peculiarities of the Whites suit I currently use, is that there are only a small number of sizes. The outer skin 'retains' the excess suit. This does seem to reduce the issue of 'shrinkage' as the years pass.

Zef likes this.