Dry suit question - Dacor....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
As some of you know, Diver's Discount has been closing out the Dacor Dry Suits (apparently Dacor has decided to stop carrying/importing them in the US)

Well, the ML size fits me perfectly - EXCEPT the boots, which are a bit too small. I'd like one size larger.

DACOR is no help on a swap-out; they never did any assembly or parts in the US (nice eh? :))

So I have a suit that fits me wonderfully otherwise, but cramps my toes. Barf.

It appears that I have two options - ebay the thing and just deal with the fact that I will have to buy a custom cut (which really bites as this thing fits me wonderfully otherwise) or find a third-party place that can graft on neoprene socks where the boots are, and wear standard booties and fins.

The latter would be better, as other than this one problem I love the suit - its tough as nails, well-built, was priced REAL right and fits me nicely (no "baggies!" yet I have good mobility and can reach valves, etc.)

Anyone have suggestions on third-party folks that can handle a boot swap?

were highly recommended to me, haven't used them personally tho.

Contact Superior Diving Repairs, Mark Owens, 218-825-7009. Perhaps they can help...

DUI can change a rockboot for about 160.00

cyklon_300 once bubbled...
were highly recommended to me, haven't used them personally tho.

Contact Superior Diving Repairs, Mark Owens, 218-825-7009. Perhaps they can help...

Ill second them as they did some work on my drysuit and did a great job. I also have had some friends use them for alterations and repair. Everyone was extremely satisfied :D www.drysuitrepair.com

Hi I also saw the great price on the Dacor Dry Suit
on divers direct.

How would u rate the suit?

I was thinking about going dry currently use a 7m and In NY its satrting to get cold

:)

Thanks for your help

Mo

Its a bit tight on me compared to some others in the reach department, but I can reach my valves, and (a bit) too tight is better than too loose :)

I found a solution to the boot problem - it turns out the boots are not really too small, but they are very thin and have no lining. I picked up a set of polartec socks and put those on my feet first, then my regular socks, then insert the whole shooting match in the boot. No problem. The fit this way is a bit snug, but servicable - too big feet are REAL bad on a drysuit, in fact, and can be downright dangerous.

Overall I like the suit. The back zip is a bit restrictive on motion, but all back zips are. This one is a bit worse than my old Bare Nex-Gen (which I sold as it was too big post-weight-loss) due to the protective flap, but I'll take the flap any day - it keeps the zip from taking wear due to your harness.

The valves are good, the exhaust does not leak, and neither do the seals.

For the price its an outstanding deal.

Wow thanks for all of the Info!

This board is great

The next time the boot change topic comes up, give a holler.
You'd be suprised how easy it is to DIY with the proper coaching.
Same goes for cuffs.
The early 70s Unisuits (the first drysuits to use a waterproof zipper) came with a manual that has an excellent section on cuff replacement.
The hardest part of the whole process is getting up the nerve to make that first cut... :wink:

THAT tends to be the hardest part - getting those or the replacement neoprene socks.

The actual replacment isn't that hard - where do you get the replacement boots/socks?

You can get boots from several places, though replacement "drysuit boots" will be a tad pricey. ($110 retail for Poseidon, $155 - $375 retail for Viking)
One of the board members here took some plain wetsuit boots (zipperless), added a gusset to the front & glued 'em on the legs of a "bootless" drysuit. Added some seam tape (instead of stitching) and all set to roll.
DUI has the socks if you want to go that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom