Dry Suit online order - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivan73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm planning to order a DUI tls350 online. Personally I do not like that but it is so much cheaper compared to the local Swiss prices. The simplest thing would be to find a local shop selling them, find correct size and order it online. This is unfortunately not possible because no local shop have them on stock.

As this is my first dry suit I have few questions:

1) I'll take the rockboots (only choice on this website), size 12, does this fit into my XL jetfins?

2) How easy is to add side pockets? I have one Halcyon pocket (got it for free when I've purchased BP/W system) and intending to purchase another one (on the webshop there is no option to add them directly)

3) I intend to order it from Dolphin Scuba Center - do you know other shops selling them online with more options (e.g. pockets) and larger DUI choice?

4) Please make comments on whatever you think important to make more or less intelligent purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Ivan

1) I'll take the rockboots (only choice on this website), size 12, does this fit into my XL jetfins? (((I have size 12, and can fit the XXL OMS slipstream and big turtle.)))

2) How easy is to add side pockets? I have one Halcyon pocket (got it for free when I've purchased BP/W system) and intending to purchase another one (on the webshop there is no option to add them directly) (((get the trident neoprene cement and follow the directions on the can, pretty simple.)))

3) I intend to order it from Dolphin Scuba Center - do you know other shops selling them online with more options (e.g. pockets) and larger DUI choice? (((Dolphin is in Sacramento California, about 50 miles from me. I bought mine from divetank in Canada, back when times were a bit better for Americans. You can buy from anyone. I'd think they all have the same deals, but you may be able to finagle more out of some dealers. I'd do the measurements rather than buy the stock sizes. and I'm leaning more towards just dealing with my local diveshop for stuff though.)))

4) Please make comments on whatever you think important to make more or less intelligent purchase. (((I wouldn't do the rock boots again. Only get them if you really need them. measure 3 times. get the zip seals. Be careful when you cut the seals. I have the p-valve, but don't use it. the cathader takes a bit of getting used to. I've had about 20 dives in my drysuit and had my first uncontrolled ascent last weekend. in my case, my OMS fins are a little positive in SW and get my trim a little head down, which leads to probs if you aren't aware of it. the turtles are a little negative and I don't have that prob with them. have fun, you'll dig it.)))

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I took more measures and I am on the edge between L and XL.

My last question: does anybody know if in the size charts DUI provides the undergarment is included or not? If not then I definitely have to take XL if yes well... more tricky.

Thanks in advance,

Ivan

if i was you i would have it custom cut if your in between sizes i just got started diving dry as well and the legs are about 3" too long and i have tuck all extra fabric into a gator or else i end up with ballons on my ankles which sucks, i would definatly recommend having it custom cut if your not close to the exact measurements they have...my girlfriend had hers custom custom cut and it fits her perfect...im a little pissed i spent almost $2000 on a baggy drysuit, but the gaitors solved my problem atleast. i think there is alot of controversy over rock boots or attached boots(its really a preference). i have the attached boots and i like the fact that once i pull on my suit im done, and i dont have to carry around an extra set of shoes for my suit, and its two more things to clean and worry about, i think if your doing a lot of rocky entries that its gives more stability to the foot and will take more abuse. have you looked at the bare trilam hd tech dry yet? that the suit that i got and im very happy with it, you will save a few hundred dollars but theres no zip seals. i think that their new trilam material will take much more abuse than the dui trilam will. i dont know what kind of diving you will be doing but i just thought i would throw that in there. i would recomend a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. the neoprene is much easier to slip over your head, and its a little warmer, you can also get the cuff ring system to convert your latex seals over to dry gloves if you dive some real cold stuff and dont have zip seals. i dont think that it includes the undergarment because they dont know how cold you will be diving and what undergarment you will be wearing.

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately for the custom cut I need to find another webshop which also delivers worldwide; do you have any suggestions? Here in Switzerland the prices are prohibitive, i.e. for the same Swiss price I can get the suit, the undergarment, the boots and the gloves from US. If I look at DUI charts they give a gap for each size of few inches and I'm all of the time at the edge of XL. If you add undergarment then I'll be just in the middle.

I'm going for the ZipSeal. I know some ppl say it's a solution for non existing problem and it breaks more often (not to say too often), but however majority of ppl on this forum are satisfied.

Regarding boots, I read also that majority of ppl prefers turbo ones, but again on the webshop I'm ordering (or will order) there's no turbo option. This being said I still have two questions; firstly does this suit has some sort of attached boots on which you put rock boots or do you have bare feet (sorry if the question is too stupid)? I had impression you have some kind of foot protection on which you can put either rock or turbo; am I wrong? Second, I hope rock boots are negatively buoyant so that that will "help" me not getting air bulb into legs.

Considering my dives, there are no so much rocks, but one never knows. I tried to dive with wetsuit (2x7mm) and everything went nicely, hopefully, but in the other case I was just not capable to reach anything and was completely dependant on my partner. Not a situation I want to live again, at least not entirely. We went to 120 ft. and it was around 40. I'm not chilly person so we could stay for 5-7 min but I felt much better when we reached 40 ft.

So at the end of the story if somebody knows worlwide delivering diving webshops I'll be grateful.

Cheers,

Ivan

no sorry i havent done much international shopping but the turbo soles are like an overgrown attacthed wetsuit boot(im almost 100% sure) and the rock boots are basically like a little neoprene sock extension of the suit so you can still loft air into the bootie...no seal the foot is entirely enclosed in the suit either way but when you go with the rock boot option, you have to buy boots and its like having a sock at the end of the suit, the turbo soles are and attached(in the case of a bare they are a vulcanized) boot....once again i prefer the turbo soles, and if your into all the zip seal stuff more power to you but i still recomend a neoprene neck seal weather you go bare or dui , its much more comfortable....good luck with the international shopping, i know scuba.com and leisurepro.com sell bare drysuits, but im not sure of anyone else besides divetank.com that sells dui suits. but as you already know dui's are still amazing suits so you wont be disapointed, good luck
_dave

currently scubatoys.com offers the dui lineup and if you call or email them you can get anything you want. they are much cheaper.

As this is my first dry suit I have few questions:

1) I'll take the rockboots (only choice on this website), size 12, does this fit into my XL jetfins?

Nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom