Dry Suit Neck Seal System For Big Heads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Last year I bought a DUI dry suit with standard G1 neck seal system. It is painful to get over my big head. I am about ready to send it back to DUI to install the G2 neck system. Thought I would ask for some feedback on alternatives. DUI G2 vs SiTech vs Orust vs ...

Sorry no help on the options. But I would buy the dui neck seal suit side ring if you do have it removed.

I removed my DUI suit-side neck ZIP-seal and replaced it with a SI-TECH neck ring. I go through 1-3 seals per year (they stretch out). I have replaced a ripped one (or two) on the hood of my car.

If you like the DUI system, and don't mind the cost of replacement ZIP-seals, then just buy the 9" G2 ring.

Is it tight getting through the hard ring or stretching the seal over your head? If its the seal, a new system won't help. Powder up the seal with talc, put your chin down and lead with the crown of your head. One of my dive buddies liberally applies astroglide to his head every time we dive. What material are you using? I find the silicone neck seal to be very resilient to stretching and pulling, just use the talc to keep it from getting sticky.

I don't know anything about the Zip-Seal system; I have the Si-Tech with silicone seals. I can cut off one ring (on the seal) at a time to get a better fit. My suit is new so I wanted to give it time to see if the seal would stretch a bit. It was snug getting over my head, but more significantly, it was too tight on my neck. I haven't dived in it since cutting off the first ring. If it's still too tight, off comes the next ring.

I may be able to help. I'm a big headed diver myself, and own a dry suit with Si-Tech silicone seals. :)

My advice :

1) cut one ring (at a time) with a pair of sharp scissors. Be sure to leave no indentation which will turn (sooner or later) in a catastrophic tear
2) apply some lube on the inside of the neck seal when you want to insert your head. As far as the lubricant is concerned, the kind you find in a drug store next to condoms is just what you need : water based, no grease, it won't harm the seal nor marine life. I prefer the non flavoured ones. I've been using it for years now, started when I had latex seals.
3) be sure to stretch the seal gently with your hands while inserting your head. You should be fine.

Vet lube (yep, for that reason!) is a fraction of the cost of scuba-specific lube.

It's massively easier with that lube on, not least to adjust the neck and cuffs to the right position.

Personally, I put a squirt in each wrist and 'whirl' it around with a finger, then reach behind for the neck and whirl the finger around the neck. I much prefer silicone seals; it's very much personal preference though.

Back
Top Bottom