Dry suit learning curve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I found a Bare Supra-Dry 7mm neoprene dry suit on ebay and it looks pretty nice. Haven't tried it yet, but it fits great and I would love to use it on a 3-day liveaboard trip in the SoCal kelp forest over labor day. Since I have never used a dry suit before and I want to focus on photography on that trip, not spend all the time practicing, I am wondering whether diving dry at this point would be a bad idea. I am well aware of what "the rules" say (don't combine new environment AND a new piece of equipment), but I consider myself probably a little more coordinated and quicker-learning than average when it comes to things like these. That said, I obviously don't want to take unnecessary risks. What is your experience: If I have my LDS inspect the suit, explain it to me and then go practice in the pool a couple of afternoons before my trip, what are my chances of being able to use it safely during my trip and, while certainly paying more attention to it than I would to my wetsuit, still be able to focus on photography? Is this a bad idea?

I'm mainly asking this question because otherwise I would have to buy a brand-new 7mm wetsuit that will most likely end up on the shelf after just this one trip.
Any comments appreciated.

The learning curve is highly variable from one diver to another, but there usually is one. Since a new drysuit can cause major challenges with buoyancy control, and photography requires excellent buoyancy control, combining the two is probably not a good idea.
Just my 2 PSI, YMMV.

Deborah

pteranodon:
If I have my LDS inspect the suit, explain it to me and then go practice in the pool a couple of afternoons before my trip, what are my chances of being able to use it safely during my trip and, while certainly paying more attention to it than I would to my wetsuit, still be able to focus on photography? Is this a bad idea?

The pool is great for practice but remember that you will have other variable in the open water environment of So Cal: current, marine-life and the boat experience.

I agree, water movement (surge, etc) is a huge difference compared to the pool.

That said, it would probably be ok. Up to you if you want to risk it. I'd recommend a class beforehand if you have time... you do have a couple of weeks.

In a DS, once your buoyancy is dialed in at a given depth, it doesn't change... although the air bubble can move as you change position. If you tend to stay perfectly trim, or if you tend to settle to the sand or rock (fragile reefs not a concern in SoCal, although you don't want to land on an urchin and hole your suit, or a kill a Gorgonian!) while taking a shot, you'd probably be ok... OTOH, if you tend to go head down and keep your body way away from the bottom, that heads-down position is going to get you into trouble quickly.

Note that 7mm neoprene drysuits aren't very popular in SoCal... the temps aren't low enough to really need the extra insulation they offer (unlike the extreme Northern climes), and the lead needed to sink one is really absurd.

If you want a number I have read 20 dives to get back to where you felt you were wet a number of times.

Mixing it with a different setting where you may have specific objectives beyond learning to dive dry is not a great idea.

Pete

Your pool and lds idea is proably the way two go and leave the camera on board for the first day or so.

I know you want someone to tell you to go ahead and do it but combining never having dove a dry suit with photography is just a disaster waiting to happen. Both will require your total concentration.

pir8:
I know you want someone to tell you to go ahead and do it but combining never having dove a dry suit with photography is just a disaster waiting to happen. Both will require your total concentration.

Yeah, what he said.

I bought a 7mm neoprene drysuit from Ebay - Took the class and everything was fine in the pool - buoyancy was fine no floaty feet or anything.

I decided to try out the suit in the quarry that weekend as i was feeling pretty confident, even brought my camera along for the second dive.

I was a mess! buoyancy was out of wack - silt storm, I went from feeling like I was sinking uncontrollably to rising too fast and back and forth -

Try working the camera buttons when you are trying to work the inflater and exhaust valves on a drysuit!

I am very similar to you in that I learn quickly and was able to quickly learn buoyancy control.

I am going to the thousand islands and i am bringing the Camera and leaving the drysuit at home (fortunately the water temp was 73F last I checked)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom