Dry suit learning curve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AUTiger:
Rob9000,

One of your lessons was bring more weight than you think you need. I'm curious as to how your weighting changed.

• What is your normal wetsuit type and how much lead do you carry?
  • With your Pinnacle undergarments, how much lead did you settle on for drysuit diving?

I am used to diving with a smallish amount of lead for my wetsuit. For my 5/7 full plus hooded vest, I carry 20-22 lbs. In my last drysuit dive, with 200g thinsulate, I took 26 pounds and was underweighted by a bit (at the end of the dive). I think that I am going to start with 30lbs next time. I'm hoping to do a 3-tank boat outing Friday so that I can get some more practice time.

Thanks again
David

I am 6'4" 240lbs. With a 7/5 (XXXL), a hooded vest, 5mil boots, and 3 mil gloves I was 30 pounds with an AL 80 tank....and my BC is about 3 lbs positive (thinking of going bp/w to solve the positive BC issue part of it)...and this was in Cabo San Lucas, so a little saltier than up here. I didn't record my weight from Monterey, but I think I was in the 30 - 34 lb range since I doubled up another vest and had 5 mil gloves....and was still cold.

With the fleece and the dry suit with the 5mm hood from the above mentioned hooded vest (I decided I didn't like the hooded vest so I took some scissors and created a great hood and a separate great vest) and 3 mil gloves and a steel LP 95, I was 36 lbs. With the REI gear I was 34 lbs and a bit heavy. The Pinnacle is actually a bit too long for me (XXXL) so I had to pull up the sleeves and legs....so it was kind of bunched up...once I got down and got vacuum packed I was much less buoyant. There was less of this effect with the REI gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom