Dry Suit Inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wont be able to in a timely manner and if its really cold the whip will freeze onto the nipple completely preventing its removal. Shut off the inflation bottle while venting as much as you can, then figure out how to disconnect it.
Nowhere does he mention cold
Does anyone have any experience with the DGX or Dive Rite dry suit inflator regulators? Are they lower flow in case of a runaway inflator? Does anyone use a spare of something similar to what they use as breathing regs in my case a D6 scribble for maintenance ease. Are there any rule of thumb for how to size a dry suit inflation cylinder for 2 dives up to 130'? DGX has 6,8 and 13 cf tanks. I was leaning towards the 8 or 13 so I wouldn't have to worry about being inefficient inflating my suit while I'm still learning. Any advice, even if tangential, is appreciated.

I got a DGX, it's long. For me it didn't package well. Not going to call it low flow, it is now part of my booster package. Runs the drive gas for the mini Haskel when doing parking lot refills of the rebreather bottles.

I now run the same regulator I do for the rest of the dive gear for a drysuit bottle. In a pinch I could use the drysuit regulator as a primary dive regulator to match everything else. Costs a little more, but I have a fully functional spare. And service, same kit does everything.

As for the size of bottle, I run a 6. Most everyone I know runs a 6. I got a 13 but have never used it, too large and doesn't package well. At least with my gear. The 8 is low pressure so nearly as large as the 13. But a lot of sizing will depend on the profile you will dive, how much you dive, and how accessible fills are. The California boats all have compressors so a between dive top off is no big deal. Even without a fill I can typically get a couple of pretty big dives in a single fill. Fairly square profiles but deepish as well (100-150 is common).

Nowhere does he mention cold
You dont want to have one way of dealing with a failure in one temperature and another way at other temperatures

The OP is in new jersey, its cold there seasonally and at depth. Plus the force on the BC connector when its in free flow condition will prevent the collar from sliding even without ice on it.

Shutting down the inflation bottle is far more consistent and reliable solution but honestly the chances are high you will cork from a runaway suit inflator. I had one recently in 20ft, I corked before I could shut down as the gas in my feet was unventable and even a scooter on full wasnt going to keep me at 20ft.

You dont want to have one way of dealing with a failure in one temperature and another way at other temperatures

The OP is in new jersey, its cold there seasonally and at depth. Plus the force on the BC connector when its in free flow condition will prevent the collar from sliding even without ice on it.

Shutting down the inflation bottle is far more consistent and reliable solution but honestly the chances are high you will cork from a runaway suit inflator. I had one recently in 20ft, I corked before I could shut down as the gas in my feet was unventable and even a scooter on full wasnt going to keep me at 20ft.
True enough for consistency but I’ve never seen a suit go full freeflow, he did mention the bottle on the back plate which may make getting at the valve difficult so everyone has to figure out what works best for them.

True enough for consistency but I’ve never seen a suit go full freeflow, he did mention the bottle on the back plate which may make getting at the valve difficult so everyone has to figure out what works best for them.
That's about the easiest-to-access and manipulable place to put it, short of wearing it like a can light. Where else are you suggesting?

That's about the easiest-to-access and manipulable place to put it, short of wearing it like a can light. Where else are you suggesting?
Well put it where ever you like! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom