Dry Suit Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking at changing my fins as my current split one are definitely not worth the space that they take (damn you pushy LDS!!)

Anyway I'm looking for something to go with my dry suit. I don't want something crazy heavy. I mostly do cold water dive in Canada. I do the odd wreck but no major penetration. Preferred kick is Frog.

I've been looking at the folllowing 3 fins:
1) Mares Quattro Avanti
2) OMS Slipstream
3) Dive Rite XT

I'm now looking for the power of scuba board to help me out here!
I have no dealer near me that have those in stores so I would have to order them in.

I've been happy with option 1 for the last ten years. Frog kicks (modified), helicopter turns, backing up, all good. Put spring straps on them.

Do you find them too light for DS diving?
I take it you have no problem with trim

Nope, that's all I have ever used. I mostly dive dry. No problem keeping my feet where I want them.

I
1) Mares Quattro Avanti
2) OMS Slipstream
3) Dive Rite XT

I've been using the Slipstreams both wet and dry for several years now and like them. They're close to neutrally buoyant. The only gotcha is that the foot pockets seem smaller (lower top to bottom in particular) than those of a comparable size jet - try them on first. Mine didn't come with spring straps, but it looks like the new ones do.

I'm looking at changing my fins as my current split one are definitely not worth the space that they take (damn you pushy LDS!!)

Anyway I'm looking for something to go with my dry suit. I don't want something crazy heavy. I mostly do cold water dive in Canada. I do the odd wreck but no major penetration. Preferred kick is Frog.

1) Mares Quattro Avanti
2) OMS Slipstream
3) Dive Rite XT

I'm now looking for the power of scuba board to help me out here!
I have no dealer near me that have those in stores so I would have to order them in.
I'd add

4) Hollis F1's. Great for a frog kick, negatively buoyant

If your ever near cornwall ontario which is about an hr from you tons scuba or O2 to go have great prices on fins and they have the slipstream at amazing prices well below msrp

I have never used any Mares fins. The dive Rite and OMS fins are both about identical in buoyancy characteristics. The OMS fins really made my calves hurt like hell when I switched from the Dive Rites.

A third party independent test recently compared many fins and one of the most interesting things was the work vs. thrust of the various brands. Dive Rite was at the top of the list and OMS was at the bottom. I just received my Dive Rites in the mail today. I am going to give them a try again since my buddies with them seem to out swim me too easily.

I have the mares genesis aquaflex I paid 60 bucks canadian for them new from rons it may be worth your while to come down and check em out oh and while your down come for a dive

I'm a cold water diver in California. Dry Suit and Hollis F1 fins do an amazing job for me. Great for all kinds of kicking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom