Dry suit boots -- slightly large vs slightly tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely go for the bigger boot. You don't want a foot cramp while you're finning, and your feet will get cold if the boots are too tight and you can't get any insulating air in there. The bigger boot can be dealt with by wearing an extra pair of socks.

A good reason to patronize my LDS -- they'll let me dive the suit with the slightly tight boots this weekend, then send them off for a change next week.

Need to have a UK 11-1/2 -- one of those non-existant sizes :)

Thanks, again, for the recommendations. Fortunately, I'll be doing open water dry suit this weekend with my instructor, then again next weekend, to complete both Open Water and my dry suit dives. Multiple chances to try things out, a good thing. I'm psyched :)

Ide go a size over at the most unless you want to put very thicks socks in them. I would never go undersize. Mine are undesize and wow do they hurt sometimes and those long boat dives ouch!!

I just got a ND Cortex suit. I wear a size thirteen and the suit came with size 10. I wear a fairly heavy poly sock. The feet are very snug out of water. However in the water I do not notice it. The advantage I have seen going with the smaller size air in the boot. I would not have chosen this if I had a choice but I got a really good deal on the suit. I have woren the suit all day and have not had any cramping or feet that hurt. My case is pretty extreme. But I would error twards the smaller size foot.

Ive got a ND cortex suit and despite having UK size 11 feet and a size 10 boot on the ND suit i have to wear 3 pairs of socks to stop my feet moving around in the thing - its very annoying I find the feet moving in boot while finning more annoying than squeeze so id go for tight WITH enough thermal protection on the feet.

I'll see what the 11s are like this weekend. With the 11s, my big toe is butting right to the tip of the boot. I can feel it hitting, with socks, a "nag factor".

I tried a pair of 12s today, they definitely have extra length -- I'm really just slightly too big for an 11 to fit, which means the 12s are sloppy.

I'm thinking a toe rub just isn't worth it, so I'll go 12 then see if I need a bit of customizing -- I'm used to doing some things with foam to get my running shoes and hiking boots "just right".

(Need ND to have 11-1/2, for pain-in-the-butt Americans who insist on being too large for an 11 :)

It sounds like you’ve got good advice. I got a dry suit with boot that was two sizes too big. I thought that I would have to get them fixed but after using heavy wool socks and neoprene booties over them I’m very happy with the larger size. My feet always stay toasty.

Good luck.

Great advice given. Go larger on the boots. The boots on my first drysuit were on the small side. My drysuit booties wound up in my sleeping bag and are still there until this day. Sure keeps my feet warm in a tent but doesn't do much at 39deg F at depth!

Paula

The odd part is that I'm "close" on the 11, just not quite. If I go to a light sock they fit, but I'm looking at 37F water, which tells me I want to be able to plus-up on the socks.

Anyhow, on the good side, I did a fin check -- the ND boots turn out to be bulkier than the trilam boots on the shop suit, so time to pick up a new pair.

(God only knows how people successfully buy this kind of stuff on the 'Net -- I'm thankful for a local shop with patient staff.)

Good stuff -- got my first two dives in today. I went to a lighter sock, instead of the Polartec 300, and was absolutely fine with the boots. Toasty warm, with water about 38F. (I'm a natural space heater)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom