Dry suit air in your leg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
Might be best to have a session with an instructor.
What I was told was
1. Ignore your wing, defleate it and keep it deflated.
2. Expell all air from your suit before descending
3. Weoght yourself so you can just descend with empty wing and suit
4. Get your trim straight at this point, Flat to Just feet heavy
5. As you descend add very small amounts of air to your suit, ignore the inflator on the wing.
6. Release air from the suit before you start to ascend so you never get positive
7. If you get positive quickly let air out of the suit
8. Only as a last resort try and swim down, that puts all the air into your feet.

Once I learned to predict the bubble then I no problems, I also had a lot less weight.
I like all your points up to point 5. I like to use my wing for buoyancy and suit only to relieve squeeze/warmth/backup buoyancy. That's how I was taught and it still makes sense to me. Maybe I'll give your approach a shot though and see how it works out. It did make me wonder whether if I added more gas to my suit rather than let myself get squeezed whether I might actually have been more balanced overall (i.e. not just a bubble in my feet, but gas all around)

---

I agree with everything up to point 3/4. It's important to establish just how much weight you need to go down with empty suit and wings, and to dive with no more weight than you need (less air in suit, less ballooning when you ascend).

The difference is that I jump in with the BC/wing inflated. This keeps me upright and buoyant before descending. I let out any excess air in the suit (easy to do at the surface), then dump all air from the BC, and down I go.

Strategy for resolving air in feet problem: Simply curl up. This will distribute the air more evenly in your suit. Dump some air, enough to become neutrally buoyant, or a little negative. Right yourself. Adjust buoyancy. That's it!

Finning down and doing arches will not work if you have already started ascending in relatively shallow water. The chances are that you will rocket up, feet first. Been there, done that.

---

And by the way, regards how fast your suit dumps air:

To make it dump faster you can just open it (on my suit I turn the valve counterclockwise). If you still have a problem, this might be due to the fabric of your undergarment getting into the valve. You can avoid this by using an elastic strap over your arm. An inch wide, or something like that.

For trim, to get excess air out of the suit legs, just bring your legs under your body, and bend your knees.

Last edited:
The difference is that I jump in with the BC/wing inflated. This keeps me upright and buoyant before descending. I let out any excess air in the suit (easy to do at the surface), then dump all air from the BC, and down I go.

I agree, once I had my weight down pat thats exactly what I would do.

Victor,

And following that, your points 4-8 are :cool3:

J.

Use a weight belt, and air only to eradicate crush or if your wing explodes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom