Dry Suit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pavillion Lake was a great site.. the problem was the constant hills on the way there.
Would do it again, but with a bigger group.

As far as renting a bunch of suits, you'll only get nexgens (crap), fusions (ok, some people don't like them), and some neoprene oceaners (cheap). I'd wait 20~ dives or so before considering the purchase of one.

Pavillion Lake was a great site.. the problem was the constant hills on the way there.
Would do it again, but with a bigger group.
Round up the posse. Safety in numbers... First it was the bears. Bear excrement too close to shore. Then Christina had to brief you on the local political situation. If it's not bears, the locals will get you.

BTW, you didn't show up for the Sunday dive. I ended diving with Skookumchuck and his posse.

83122843_37733157bb.jpg

2110534.jpg

978807077_7a0e043005.jpg

The Western Canada forum has been kind of dead lately, so I thought I would try to stir things up a bit by resurrecting this thread! :wink:

I had to bring my crushed neoprene suit in for repair, so had to go back to the fusion as a back-up. This time, I decided to stick with my MK-2 undergarment(the thinner one that I use with the crushed neoprene), rather than the big puffy MK-3 that I usually use with the fusion. (BTW, the MK-2 is a medium, a little tight on me, whereas the MK-3 is a large, and a bit too big for me). To compensate for the loss of insulation of using the shell suit with the MK-2, I added more layers of underwear underneath. (4 layers instead of 2 on top).

Apologies to Doug, I have to admit the Fusion wasn't that bad this time, using the MK-2. It does have the advantage of being more mobile, although definitely chillier compared to the crushed neoprene (not a factor at this time of year when the surface temps are 17 °C). I still find it more difficult to control buoyancy for some reason, I have to consciously think about it, whereas with the crushed neoprene, I always feel neutral without having to think about it too much.

So I think if I had bought the fusion with a tighter fitting undergarment, I probably would have had a better experience. I think those big puffy undergarments are not so good because they are too buoyant, and all that air inside affects your buoyancy with any little change in depth. The denser stuff coming out now seems much better, like the 4th element stuff.

All in all, I still much prefer the crushed neoprene, but the fusion isn't so bad for summertime in BC. I'll keep it on hand as a back up, and maybe use it for California diving or colder tropical diving.

I guess it's really the big puffy MK-3 that was probably too big for me that was the main issue...:)

Whites calls their top-secret insulation in the MK-3 "primaloft". They say it's better than thinsulate. Seems ok in the MK-2, but the MK-3 is just too puffy. I have to add 7 lbs of lead if I switch from the MK-2 to the MK-3, which is crazy!

Primaloft's a commercial product.

Apparently there's boot grade and some other grade thinsulate, that's the main difference that'd affect how much air you'd have to put into your suit to stay warm.

You get what you pay for, in other words.

I love my MK3 :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

And have no problems with it

I think it's more about the undergarment than the suit! I used to have a Weezle extreme and honestly loved it, I never got cold and it drys super fast. I'm now using a Bare high loft and i'm freezing my ass off in the winter. It looks like the 4th element stuff is warm? and getting good reviews. MK3 I
have heard is very warm but bulky(sounds like yours was to big also Rob?) I will either go back with a Weezle or maybe the 4th element stuff.

How do you like the DUI flex extreme? I was looking at it but went with a Bare instead because it's local, that and I have a DUI clx450 sitting in my closet because it is WAY too big..

I haven't gotten it yet, it's ordered. 25 days and counting.

I had... issues... getting a custom valve placement from bare. Supposedly a three week operation took over 2 months and they hadn't even started it.

Next undergarment will probably be a santi one if I have money to throw away on it, but because of the aforementioned boot grade thinsulate you usually need it custom fit, otherwise you could have movement issues. For now I have a kidney pack heater vest if it's going to get that cold.

Back
Top Bottom